Thread: My cousin

Thanks

Default My cousin

Hi,
    My cousin, she is 20 years old. She was diagnosed with lupus at the age of 12. In the begining it was not so bad; however, for the past 3 years she has been in and out of the hospital. She has been walking with crutches for the past two years. About two months ago she had ankle infusion, so she thought she will be able to walk again. About a month ago she went back to the hospital because her stitches were pulling out, as per doc wound was infected. At the hospital they placed her under some machine which would keep the stitches together. Her ankle is healing fine, but lupus has flared up. Before ankle surgery she was fine, I guess she was in a remission stage. She was in the ICU because she was not able to eat or rink anything. Even if she drank a little water or ate one grape she would throw up. She is on continuous IV. She has water accumulated around her liver, one side of her stomach is swollen, and now she is complaining of pain in the lower part of her stomach. She is able to eat, but she gets pain after her meal. They have done many blood tests, MRI's, and CT scan as per docs everything is normal. They dont know why she is having this pain. Her parents and herself are very tired of all the tests and of course the disease.
    Please let me know if anyone is experiencing or has experienced these symptoms. What could possible wrong with her besides lupus?
    We are all very worried for her and pray for her to get better!
    Thank you so much for any advise or any feed back!
    Greatly appreciated,
    Nasim.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Nvahora :lol:
    Marycain responded to your post in "Lupus Erythematosus Symptoms"
    As she said, Lupus is a disease that can affects all parts of the body and each organ. That is why it is called "Systemic" - which means " diseases that involve many organs or the whole body". As Marycain also pointed out, many symptoms of Lupus include inflammation and fluid retention (edema). In fact, inflammation is one of the main characteristics of lupus. Both muscles, joints and organs can become inflammed.
    Here are some of the common symptoms (and the systems of the body that they affect) of Lupus:
    General Manifestations: Fatigue, fever, psychological and emotional effects.

Specific Manifestations:
    Dermatologic - Butterfly rash, photosensitivity, DLE (discoidal lupus erythematosus), subcutaneous LE, mucosal ulcers, alopecia (hair loss), pain and discomfort, pruritus, bruising.

Musculoskeletal: Arthralgias, arthritis, other joint complications.

Hematologic: Anemia, decreased White BloodCell count, thrombocytopenia, lupus anticoagulants, false-positive VDRL, elevated ESR.

Cardiopulmonary: Pericarditis, myocarditis, myocardial infarction, vasculitis, pleurisy, valvular heart disease.

Renal: Asymptomatic microscopic renal involvement, renal failure, fluid and electrolyte imbalance, urinary tract infection.

Central Nervous System (CNS): General CNS symptomology, cranial neuropathies, cognitive impairment, mental changes, seizures.

Gastrointestinal: Anorexia, ascites, pancreatitis, mesenteric or intestinal vasculitis.

Ophthalmologic: Eyelid problems, conjunctivitis, cytoid bodies, dry eyes, glaucoma, cataracts, retinal pigmentation.

Pregnancy: Lupus flare, miscarriage or stillbirth, pregnancy-induced hypertension, neonatal lupus.

Infection: Increased risk of respiratory tract, urinary tract, and skin infections; opportunistic infections.

Nutrition: Weight changes; poor diet; appetite loss; problems with taking medications; increased risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, osteoporosis, and kidney disease.

As you can see, there is no part of the body that Lupus does not affect. Now, it does not affect everyone the same way and no one suffers from all of the above symptoms at the same time. You should also know that many of us with Lupus also have overlap diseases and other connective tissue diseases along with Lupus. I am not saying that this is the case with your cousin. But, if her symptoms are not directly related to Lupus, there is a possibility that she might also have an overlap or CTD.

She is very lucky to have you. It is advisable that she (and you) be as informed as possible about Lupus. Throughout WeHaveLupus is information about almost every question that you could have. Also, there are many referrals to informative web sites and books. I wish both you and your cousin the very best!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Benton, Arkansas (18 miles south of Little Rock)
    Thanks

My husband has SLE Lupus, Sjogrens, Hashimoto's and Acute Pancreatitis. Every time he eats a meal, he has alot of pain also. He had an MRCP and it was discovered he had a large cyst on his pancreas and his pancreas duct was partially blocked. Has she been checked for pancreatitis? Just a suggestion. I am fairly new here and don't know very much about all of these autoimmune diseases, but I do know this is how my husband feels.
    I wish the best for your cousin and the people who care about her!

Grace