Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I will start methotrexate injections on Friday

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default I will start methotrexate injections on Friday

The doctor agreed to start me on 7.5 mg per week. I am very relieved. I'll take them on Friday so I have Saturdays to get over it.

It may take a lot longer to see any results, but that's OK. Fatigue is the only thing going on with me right now anyway. I'm afraid of getting a bad infection, because I have a history of my IgA and IgG being real low in years past.

I am doing a 24-hour urine right now (which they SHOULD have done as soon as my ANA came back 1:160) I must learn to be more aggressive! They are checking for tuberculosis and for hepatitis. So those should all be back to their office by Friday when I get my first shot. I guess if the urine came back bad, then I might change my plans, but that would be the only thing that would make me take more than the 7.5 mg. At least, that's my story TODAY

I have a RX for phenergen (sp) just in case, and will post back on how I am doing.

It's nice to have some folks to talk to about this

Thanks

I too have practicallly nonexistant iga antibodies and low iGg. Is this common in lupus. Its very scary... practically allergic to everything

Thanks

I don't know if lupus causes such immunoglobulin imbalances, or if it's a natural tendency for people with lupus to also have that. Hopefully more knowledgeable folks will jump in here

I know when my IgA and IgG were so low, my IgM was through the roof! IgM is implicated in bone cancer, but they never mentioned that to me.

Thanks

I don't understand the biochemistry completely, but apparently people with certain immumoglobulin deficiencies (like IgA) are more likely to develop lupus or autoimmune diseases. High IgM levels in lupus can indicate kidney damage or a new-onset infection - I'm not aware of any association with bone cancer, but there certainly may be one - I don't think even the immunologists really stay on top of all the research on these issues.... Some people are born with immunoglobulin deficiencies so there's probably a genetic factor too. But it's more common for people with lupus to have abnormally high levels of IgA and IgG than low levels, unless they have nephrotic syndrome from lupus kidney disease. Low levels of IgA and IgG make a person more prone to viral or bacterial infections, but I don't think they would affect how prone you are to allergies. Immune-mediated allergies are usually related to IgD (allergies to milk, some medications, or protein allergies) or IgE (asthma, atopic dermatatis and other allergic diseases). Most people with allergies will have very high IgE levels, so it's a part of most standard allergy testing.

Thanks

Your right about the immunologists not staying on top of this. The one I saw is supposed to top notch and he told me it had nothing to do with the lupus and my hematologist agreed. As far as the allergies, he said my not being able to take most antibiotics as well as other allergies is definitley attributed to the iga deficiency, but who knows. Just another problem I have to deal with. I am linking a good web site for those of us who have this. I did not know however, that it was a come and go thing. I guess in my case it just goes.
    http://npi.jmfworld.org/patienttopat...&CFTOKEN=28540
    Take care and happy new year[/url]

Thanks

I got my shot at 8 AM. It didn't hurt. I guess I thought something that kills your cells would burn?

I went to work after that, went by the store after work, came home and watched some TV and now I'm off to bed, about 8 PM.

I'm very tired, but I don't feel necessarily bad. I feel about like I normally do--too tired to do much more. That's a very full day for me

I'll keep you posted if anything else happens good or bad

Thanks

I had a rough night on Friday night. Felt too bad to sleep. I finally got up at 2 AM and took some Tylenol. Next Friday I'll take a phenergen and some Tylenol at bedtime and see if I don't do better. Felt kind of icky up until Saturday about noon. Then worked pretty hard for about four hours. Yippee!!!!

I'll keep posting back if anything else happens. I mean, this is probably boring for most, but it might be helpful to someone who hasn't taken it and who is frightened (like I was )

Thanks

You might ask your doctor about zofran for nausea - pricy but very effective. Glad you are doing okay with the MTX.

Thanks

Thanks for the tip about Zofran, MARYCAIN. I'll ask my doctor about it.

I slept very well Saturday night, and I feel rested this Sunday morning. Just a very slight icky feeling.

Happy New Year!

Thanks

Just wanted to report that I had a fantastic day on New Year's Day!

I worked harder than I have worked in a single day in YEARS! I guess since I have only had one shot that I can't necessarily attribute the good day to that, but I am very excited about it.

I am slightly sick to my stomach, just a passing feeling. My restless leg syndrome seems to be worse--but I'm using muscles I haven't used in YEARS! Also, I am having some insomnia issues--that's why I'm up typing into a forum input box at 4 AM. :x

But I WORKED HARD!!!!!! Yippee!!!!!!