Thread: sorry...gross...but I'm concerned

Thanks

Default sorry...gross...but I'm concerned

Do any of you have abnormal bleeding down there. I am wondering if it could be Lupus related or something else. I had my regualr cycle, then a week later, after a bad coughing spell (been sick with bronchitis) I started bleeding down there. From female areas. It's happened 3 times now.

We are thinking there's a possibility of my being pregnant (taking test in the morning) so it could be from that too. I missed my pill one freakin day. Oh well.
    Anway, just wanting to see if any of you have experienced this. I am one of these people that is always normal when it comes to those female things.
    Any thoughts appreciated. ops:

Laura

Thanks

Hi, Laura. Don't ever be concerned or embarrassed to ask about anything - chances are somebody else has experienced it too. Abnormal menstrual cycles are common with lupus for a number of reasons. Even doctors don't fully understand how lupus affects a woman's hormone levels, or the effect of inflammation. Even women who have always had regular menstrual cycles can be irregular once they develop a chronic illness. And if you've taken prednisone, it can also mess up your normal cycles. So can many other medications, but prednisone can definitely trigger irregular bleeding. Plus, vaginal sores or ulcers are very common in lupus. Remember that lupus can cause inflammation in any of your mucosal membranes, which includes the vagina and urethra, not just the mouth and nose. So if you've ever had lupus ulcerations in your mouth or nose, you may have them in other places and just not be aware of it. If these ulcerations become irritated or inflammed, they sometimes bleed. So there are a number of things that could be causing this. If your pregnancy test doesn't answer the question, you might ask your gynecologist if you are concerned.

Thanks

Hi Laura,

I'm a newbie here, but I've been diagnosed 2 years now. My periods have been out of whack ever since my rheumy doc took me off birth control. A couple of months ago, I started spotting off and on between periods. Then, during sex I started bleeding really bad... I'm talking CSI episode sheets. My hubby was pretty freaked out. My GYN found a growth of some sort on my cervix, biopsy came back clean.... just another odd little side effect of either the drugs or the lupus...

Oh and the GYN just started me on a low dose bc pill. He thinks we can find a happy medium. I'm lucky to have such good docs!

If you are pregnant, congrats! I wish you well..

SonyaLA

Thanks

I bled for 30 days along with clotting. My rheumy said no relations to lupus. My PCP tried prescribing birth control, after she checked for pregnancy. the gynecologist gave me progestrene and it finally stopped. I have had irregular periods since I began taking prednisone. Not one of the doctors saw any correlation between steroids and my menustration but I have. I don't know what my cycle will do this month.

Thanks

Ouch... 30 days! So the progestrene will stop your periods altogether right? My gyn mentioned he might try that with me to get my periods under control... but then I already have 2 kids and cannot risk another. Are you looking to try to get pregnant?

I have a hard time believing the preds are not related. My doc does not believe me, but my sex drive is so much stronger when I am on the preds. I just tried to wean off, and it the fatigue was awful ... I just started back. Luckily the hubby doesn't mind the round face, and extra 30 pounds.

Sonya

Thanks

Default No period at all

Just a side comment, I want everyone who has a period to be thank full.
    I'm 26, had the opportunity of experiencing periods till my first round of cyclo treatment at age 19.
    I didn't have my period for a year and was so releived, actually extactic at the idea that if my preriod came back, there were chances I could have a child.
    After a second round of cylo in 2003, I've never has a mentruation.
    I get severe cramps and pains every month. I therefore have the symptoms but I'm infertile.
    I just want to point out that having irregular bleeding and taking the pill are all part of being a woman, it could be worse.

Thanks

Sorry that happened Miss Sunshine.
    I found out that I am not pregnant, I did have pnuemonia and it's finally clearing up.
    I've been on birth control since age 17. First kind made me really moody, my best friend had to stop taking it also for that reason. Now I'm on Yasmin and it's fine.