Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help - need some advice from the dog lovers on forum

Thanks

Default Help - need some advice from the dog lovers on forum

Someone has dropped a stray dog on our property - not the first time, but this one is half-starved and looks like it may have been fought. It's too big to catch in the have-a-heart traps I generally use. We don't have an animal shelter in our county - if I call the county dog catcher the poor thing will probably be shot. So we generally catch them and take them to a no-kill sanctuary or find homes. It is very hungry and will eat if we leave food and don't stay around, but is very distrustful of people, probably with good reason. I am a little afraid of it - it seems more aggressive than most strays - and I'm worried about it attacking some of the cats on our property. I'm not that experienced with larger dogs and I'm not sure how to approach it safely. Any ideas for what to do? It looks like a mama dog - is there any way to tell if it has puppies hidden anywhere? I would hate to take mama dog somewhere safe and leave puppies behind.

Thanks

Yikes...sounds like caution is in order. We live in the country, too, and see stray dogs from time to time. Seems that folks think it's OK to drop them somewhere, as long as it's out of the city limits. My sister is a dog trainer and judge for a local 4H unit and has 25 years experience raising and training dogs of all kinds. I'm going to pass on your question to her. She'll undoubtedly have some kind of advice.

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

We see a lot of strays but they are usually smaller and friendlier - or people's hunting dogs get lost and end up here because food is available. I'm not generally so antsy with strays - most animals like me - something about this one's attitude and injuries makes me nervous. She has open wounds that I know must be painful, and I'm afraid to try getting too near her while she's hurt. I put a big crate outside with blankets and some christmas leftovers - I'm hoping the food will make her more less likely to go after the other animals. Can you ask your sister if there is anything I can put in her food to help her heal up better?

Thanks

This brings tears to my eyes. What kind of filthy person would abandon an animal, especially a pregnant one, in the winter? I think if she had pups, she'd bring them into the crate, but maybe not. Mama dogs like to hide their pups if they're unsure of the surroundings. I wish there was something I could do! Maybe you could call a vet or an animal hospital and ask them if there's anything you could put into her food.

Thanks

Yes, I'm afraid she has puppies hidden somewhere and I'm not sure we could find them. So I'm just leaving out a lot of high-protein food and fresh drinking water and hoping it will be enough to get her healthy. We stacked hay bales around the crate to make a good windbreak so she will stay warm, and I hope it will be enough like a den that she brings the puppies into it if there are any. I wish I could get my hands on whoever dropped her! I'd be tempted to drop them in the woods about 50 miles away with no food and no coat and see how they like it. I am not very christian or forgiving when it comes to animals being abused.

Thanks

*nodding here* I'd put something in THEIR food. Yeh, I'm a COOK! 8)

Thanks

Marycain - Leave food daily and slowly earn its trust, once it learns that you're trustworthy it will reveal its babies to you. I've had animals all my life and worked in a vet clinic the better part of 10 years and I learned you can't force it, they have to lead.

Also - I know you have kids, at one time I rescued a dog like this but it could never be trusted in new situations, around children, and with people it decided that weren't above board(no rhyme nor reason to this mind you)

Please, please, please exercise the upmost caution when dealing with this dog. I am like you and it breaks my heart to see any animal hungry, abandoned, or abused, but remember you are at high risk for infection and injury. Many of the sweetist animals on earth will lash out when they feel cornered or unsure.

Best wishes

Hoover and Hooversmom

Thanks

I'm not trying to get near her at all right now - just leaving the food where she can get it easily. Luckily the boys are visiting my brother until New Years so I don't have to worry about them getting hurt. I have seen her lying in the crate several times but I don't know if she's put the puppies there - it is waterproof and insulated so she should stay warm and dry. I'm not sure she even has puppies - just going by she looks like a nursing mama. I'm not even sure what breed she is - I just know she's very underweight. She ignores the cats and squirrels, thank goodness. Do you know about how much food is appropriate to give her? I don't want her to be hungry but I don't want to overfeed her and make her sick either. She is about the height of my brother's labrador retriever, but nowhere near the weight.

Thanks

Default Iams pet food

On a slightly different issue but also dog related, please ask your local vets, animal shelters and pet food suppliers to join the boycott of Iams pet food. Iams has been cited multiple times for horrible abuse and neglect of the dogs, cats and other animals it "studies" to develop its pet nutrition products. Some of the things are too awful to even post. but many of the animals die or suffer extreme pain as part of its "research". Although I have always purchased cruelty-free (not tested on animals) products, I guess I always assumed pet food was cruelty-free just because of its nature. Wrong - some of the biggest pet-food companies conduct the cruelest and most invasive tests on animals. There are several websites that list cruelty-free products, including pet food. Several groups associated with the Humane Society are boycotting Iams until it agrees to stop inhumane and invasive testing, and improves the conditions and treatment of the animals it keeps. I know a lot of you are animal lovers too, and do not want to buy products from a company that abuses the very animals it's supposed to be helping.

Thanks

When my dogs are sick, I make "sick dog stew":

2 cups rice, cooked in
    4 cups chicken broth/stock
    2 cans of mixed vegetables

This looks and smells so good, sometimes I eat it too when my tummy is upset! As the dog gets better, you can gradually mix in canned or dry dog food in proportions that the dog can handle. Usually my dogs are right as rain in a few days...only problem? They are disappointed when it's back to dog food!