Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EXTREMELY Painful Menstrual Cramps!

Thanks

Default EXTREMELY Painful Menstrual Cramps!

Hi Everyone!

Does anyone else here experience EXTREMELY painful menstrual cramps?

I have always experienced very severe menstrual pain. Infact, I used to pass out from the pain before I got my pain medication and I have a very high pain threshold! My doctor prescribed 1100mg of pain medication, given to people with Endometriosis, for the days when I am menstruating. I was also given a diuretic, but I can no longer take it because of my kidneys.

However, I am on day two of my period and even though I have already taken both of my prescribed pills for today, I am in such SEVERE pain that I feel as if I might faint! The pain extends over my entire abdomen and now feels as if it is shooting up my esophagus! I'm not even sure if all of this pain is even related to my period at the moment because I have been experiencing SEVERE abdominal pain for quite a while now. However, this pain is very different and I have had terrible problems with my organs "popping", which is very painful, recently. I was born with a very enlarged spleen and lately it has been "popping" and driving me crazy with pain! It feels as if my spleen is squashing my ribs and I have had ENOUGH now! The pain feels as if it is extending to my kidneys now, while I am typing! I have a very irritable bladder, which gets infected, often with one of my kidneys, practically every second week (I am not joking!) and since my period started last night, I have been unable to stop urinating! I am going every five minutes! I am even struggling to let my colon work at the moment because it causes me such severe pain (I do suffer from chronic, severe constipation, but for once, I am not constipated, so that is not causing me any pain, although I am permanently, severely faecally loaded; I have just got over a bout of Dysentery, actually.)

I saw my Paediatrician/Paediatric Cardiologist today (I am sixteen) and he wants me to go and see a Gynaecologist as soon as possible, but I know that I will never be able to get hold of one before January! My pain has also quadrupled since I saw him this morning and it's a Friday night and I have no idea what I should do! One of my doctors thought that I might have Endometriosis, but I need to see a Gynaecologist for a thorough examination.

I am not sure what to do; I am sitting here with a hot water bottle on my abdomen and another one against my back! The pain is driving me CRAZY!

Does anyone else have similar problems with this?

Thanks and keep well!

Thanks

Bless you honey, I know you are miserable - Yes, I had endometriosis and I remember the terrible menstrual cramps all too well - it sound like that may be what you are experiencing. Do you ever had nosebleeds during your periods? That's pretty good tip-off that endo may be present. You should also ask your doctor whether you have interstitial cystitis - it often goes along with endo and can cause recurring bladder infections and stomsch pain.

Is there any way to get hold of your doctor to see if you can take more pain medicines? Ordinarily I would tell you to try taking ibuprofen to help with the cramps and bleeding, but since you have a kidney problem, that might not be a good idea. Try lying down for a while, then getting up and walking around a little - sometimes the alternating rest and movement helps some. A warm bath might also help - eat some calcium rich foods like yogurt if you tolerate dairy foods. An herb called valerian can help to relieve cramps - you can get it as a tea or as capsules. There just aren't many home remedies that work when your cramps are that bad - ibuprofen helps but please don't take it without checking with your doctor. I find that Vitamin B1 (thiamine) helps some - you can find this in stores that sell vitamin products - it's best to get a b-complex vitamin that includes Vitamin B1 instead of taking it by itself. Sometimes all you do is put on some music and try to distract your self from the pain. Having your mom or somebody rub your back may help some too.

Thanks

Hi!

Thanks very much for the advice and support!

No, I have actually never had a nosebleed (except when I broke my nose, but that's quite different! )

I do take High-Potency Vitamin B-Complex Vitamins every morning, which definitely help with boosting energy levels! My mother is an aromatherapist, so I will go and ask her if she can massage my back for me, thanks.

I used to take Evening Primrose Oil, but then I found out that it had an interaction with my Lamictin (Lamictal/Lamotrigine), so I had to stop taking it. I am now on Epilim (Sodium Valproate) though, but I am not sure yet which homeopathic remedies interact with it, so I'm afraid that I cannot try anything like that until I know.

Unfortunately, sitting and lying down seem to aggravate the pain even more! Standing appears to be more comfortable, for some odd reason?!

I will go and eat some gluten-free yoghurt ( ) now and see if that helps, thanks. I love yoghurt! I am also going to go and climb into a nice hot bath and pray that it will relax my abdomen somewhat!

Thanks again and keep well!

Thanks

Default I was dx'ed with endometriosis long before lupus, and even

had a total hysterectomy 2 years ago because of it. Endo is an inflammatory condition and is common with lupus patients from what I have read.

See a gyn-oncologist or an endocrinologist for help. A regular OB-GYN doesn't have enough specialized knowledge to help.

Thanks

I had Endo years ago - hysterectomy at 29. Not diagnosed with Lupus then, but who knows? Might have been related. I saw more ob-gyn doctors in a year than I've seen in all the years since!

I hope your feeling better, Ilovehistory, and that your doctors can find something to give you relief. I remember well that kind of pain. You're in my prayers.

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for all of your advice and support!

I went to see a Gynaecologist today and she nearly collapsed when she heard that I sometimes menstruate for fourteen days!

She was very thorough and is convinced that I have a few endocrine problems (the possibility that I might have Hyperaldosteronism already existed), so she took some bloods and will let my mother and I know when she receives the results (I will let all of you know when I hear from her). If there are a few endocrine problems, then she will refer me to an Endocrinologist.

She is sending me for a pelvic ultrasound as well, to check for ovarian cysts (I will let you know how that goes too).

She thinks that I might have Endometriosis and gave me a booklet on the subject, but she wants to sort out all of the other problems before we consider this possibility.

Keep well, everyone!

Thanks

I'm glad she is being so thorough - hopefully you will get some answers soon. I remember the unbelievable cramps and days and days of bleeding all too well. All my friends had "normal" periods, a couple of days of mild cramps and bleeding that hardly slowed them down, so they had a hard time understanding that a period can be a major health problem instead of a minor inconvenience. But please be assured that many of here can relate exactly to what you are going through!

Thanks

Thanks, Marycain. I honestly do not know what I would do without all of you on this Forum! You are lifesavers and your support, advice and encouragement keep me going!

Thanks

P.S. By the way, I just thought that I should mention that my ex-G.P. was prescribing potent anti-fungals to me to treat Thrush (even though I kept telling her that they weren't working! ), when the Gynaecologist told me that my discharge (ops is not Thrush at all, but indicative of an endocrinological problem! :x My G.P. never swabbed it or anything! :shocked!: My Gynaecologist was FURIOUS!

Thanks

Bless your sweet heart, ILoveHistory. You are so young and are dealing with so much--and with great maturity! I sure would have loved to have you in one of my classes when I taught history! You hang in--Kathy