Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plaquenil brandname versus hydroxychloroquine?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thank you so much for clearing that up for us :lol: I was getting really confused!! So, the brand name is a pure form and the generic uses a kind of filler I guess!! Anyway, it is good to know that there is a difference so that we can make an informed decision with our doctors.
    Again, thanks
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default plaquenil is the brand name

I'm responding to my response, all medications have inactive and active ingredients. The active ingredients are the ones we want and the inactive just help our body absorb the active ones. But some inactive ingredients will work better that others and vice versa. I suppose it's possible for some people to have better luck with the generic than name brand. For most people it shouldn't matter but for some it will. You just have to try and see if you can use the cheaper generic. The active ingredients are supposed to be identical in both. Hope I was able to clarify.

Thanks

Default Brand vs. Generic

I did not respond to generic either. I have always been under the impression that the argument lies in the Active vs. Inactive Ingredient issue. Generic medications, although the basic premise is the same, uses different binding agents, sugars, and colors, which may impact its effacacy in some patients. Yes, it is the same MEDICATION that is being delivered, but it is being driven in a slightly different car, so to speak. My mother is also a LUPUS survivor, and found the same problems as I, and you, did. In my humble opinion, this is one situation where the generic does not mirror the brand name very well. Hope this helps! Be well.