Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plaquenil brandname versus hydroxychloroquine?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Plaquenil brandname versus hydroxychloroquine?

Can anyone share any experience or knowledge about potential differences between plaquenil (brand name) and hydroxychloroquine (generic)? Any response appreciated!
    wishing health and strength to all

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Batgirl:
    Plaquenile is a Hydroxychloroquine! Plaquenil is just a brand name. Like Motrin is a brand name for Ibuprofen. Hydroxychloroquine is an anti-malarial medication which is active against malaria. But it is used to treat SLE rashes and skin lesions. It is usually given in doses of 200 to 600 mg daily and should be taken after meals.
    The most worrying side effect is visual disturbance, which affects the retina and may occur after high dosage (more than 400 mg/day) or if taken for several years (generally over 8 yrs). Your doctor will recommend routing eye tests. You should always wear sunglasses outdoors and tell your doctor if you see light flashes or streaks, notice a decreased field of vision, suffer from night blindness or problems focusing.
    I hope that I have been helpful :lol:
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default more on plaquenil/hydroxychloroquine

Dear SaySusie (and all),
    Thank you for your reply and your support . I love this site! I also appreciate the info about the meds. I guess my question is a little more specific than I made it sound. I was on plaquenil for 2 yrs and went into remission. Within a month of switching to the generic version (hydroxychloroquine) I developed a mean malar rash and lots of discoid lesions as well as hair loss. That lasted 2 years. I am back on the brand name as of a week ago and just read in Dr. Wallace's "Lupus Book" that some studies show differences in tolerance and efficacy between the generic and brand names. Most insurance companies won't cover the brand name, but is there is a difference (however small), we Lupies should know about it!
    Thanks again!
    batgirl (as in sun sensitive, not as in blood sucking 8)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Batgirl;
    ????? DUH :?
    You have stumped me on this one. In all of my research, I can find nothing that differentiates Plaquenil from Hydroxychloroquine. Everything that I've found just says that plaquenil is a brand name for hydroxycholoroquine!!!
    Sowwy ops:
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default thank you!

Saysusie,
    Thank you for looking! I have been reading your replies to others and you are a true source of knowledge, wisdom, and support! thank you for your time
    batgirl

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Batgirl;
    You are so very welcome! It is, as I've said, my pleasure and my dedication to provide information, support and encouragement as long as (and as much as) I can!!

:lol:
    Saysusie

Thanks

I am also confused with this!
    A relative of mine who has RA swears that the brand name works so much better for her!.... I am thinking of switching especially bc. the plaquenil isnt helping THAT much....anyone try it combined w/ quinacrine?

Thanks

Default Plaquinil vs. hydroxychloroquine

My doc says that some of her patients have more stomach upset with the generic than the brand name. I take the generic because I have no insurance and it's so much cheaper, but luckily haven't had any problems with it.

Thanks

yup it's allllllllllll the same. plaquenil is just the name brand. i've been on hydrocloroquine (plaquenil) for over a year now.
    I was diagnosed with lupus at the age of 14. I am now 29.

Thanks

Default plaquenil is the brand name

A friend who is a pharmacist said that generics can use different inactive ingredients and that can affect absorption and efficacy in some people due to the fact that we all have minor differences in our digestive tracts. I also read Dr. Wallace's book in which he says he uses the brand name vs. generic if the generic doesn't work first. Hope that helps.