Thread: Can I take less than the normal dose of methotrexate?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Can I take less than the normal dose of methotrexate?

Hi, I'm new here. I've had lupus since 1981, and have always taken prednisone before. After a recent flare, my doctor wants me to take 12 mg shots once weekly.

Has anyone here ever asked their doctor for a lesser amount? Do they HAVE to give at least that much?

I'm just afraid

Thanks

Hmm, not sure about the 12mgs in shot form. I get .6cc's in shot form. There was a time when I was taking 8 pills per week which equal 20mgs of methotrexate. If I remember right 6cc's is = to 6 pills which would be 15mgs. Maybe someone out there knows more. I use to be really afraid of methotrexate and still struggle with having to take it but I have gone without it for up to 3 weeks and believe me it has made a difference in my life. Also I have tolerated the shots soooo much better, I hardly have any side effects now. Methotrexate is one of the better medications to be on... the lesser of the evils so to speak. I hope you get some answers. Sorry I couldn't help more.
    For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans for good and not evil to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

You can always ask your doctor for a smaller dose. However, it has been my experience that most doctors will start you out on the lowest dosage for your particular symptoms and then change the dosage accordingly!!
    Speak to your doctor and please let us know what decision the two of you have made!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie