Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lupus and Sjogrens

Thanks

Thanks for the encouragement, Marycain. I will ask the doctor if the biopsy will affect her recommended treatment. Or, if there is an alternative diagnostic option that can be done. I'll base my decision on the lip biopsy on her answers. It's good to 'talk' this through. The visits to doctors can be short and overwhelming. I try to go very prepared and have my questions written down. But that doesn't help when the doctor throws lots of new info at me. Sometimes I don't think of questions until I've left the clinic.
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Default Sjogren's and insurance

I too was diagnosed with Sjogren's first -- but it's interesting that as a "medical" condition -- most of the problems end up not covered -- e.g. they are considered a vision insurance thing or dental. I wish someone had prescribed Exovac earlier.... An of course dental benefits top out at $1K/year -- even though this is not really a dental issue but a medical one.

Over the past 10 years I have had every tooth but one on the bottom root canaled and all of them crowned due to their demineralization -- they are incredibly brittle. I lost a few totally and many of the crowns needed posts there was so little tooth left. Similar situation on top -- I think I only have six that haven't been root canaled. Three done in the last 6 weeks of so -- crowns pending till new calendar year and more $ available.

One the bright side -- I don't have to look forward to much in dental expenses after these three are crowned and we address the remaining six teeth! But all the crowns are my natural color -- too bad you can't bleach porcelain. Hey -- and by the way -- if you do have Sjogren's -- you should avoid bleaching. My dentist told me it can make your teeth even more brittle....

Thanks

My dentist and rheumatologist both wrote letters to my insurance company explaining that my dental problems were a result of disease, not decay. They ended up getting a lot of mine covered under major medical, which paid more than my dental insurance would have.

Thanks

Default Good idea

It's probably worth a try!

Thanks

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up. I actually use those home whitening kits (Crest White Strips) from time to time. Won't do that anymore. I'm really hoping to avoid as much of the complications of Sjogrens as possible. There's still the possibility that I don't have Sjogren's, I guess, since there are other reasons for dry eyes, nose, mouth....... Time (and tests) will tell.
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Jody, when you were diagnosed with lupus, did your doctor do any additional antibody tests other than ANA? Because SS-A (or SS-Ro) and SS-B (or SS-La) are both pretty common with Sjogrens, although not everybody has them. That's why my doctor was pretty sure I had Sjogrens even before the biopsy - the dry mouth/eyes and a high level of Ro antibodies added up to Sjogrens. I also had a really dry Schirmer test.

Thanks

Yes, she did a lot of other blood tests. I don't recall the results of them all. I'm due to have a bunch of tests again here shortly. They will all mean a lot more to me now than they have in the past. I've learned so much by reading books, articles on the Internet, and on this forum. I'll know what to ask about.