Thread: LUPUS FLARE UP

Thanks

Default LUPUS FLARE UP

I HAVE LUPUS FOR MANY YEARS NOW, BUT JUST BEING TREATED FOR ABOUT 4 YEARS NOW. WHAT EXACTLY IS A FLARE UP. I MEAN THERE IS NOT ONE DAY THAT I FEEL GREAT. MAYBE GOOD ONE DAY OUT OF THE WEEK. IT HAS GOTTEN TO MY KIDNEYS AND MY JOINTS VERY BAD TO THE POINT OF DISFIGUREMENT, THOSE ARE THE 2 THINGS I HAVE SUFFERED WITH FOR MANY YEARS. I HAVE BEEN ITCHY ON MY HEAD AND MY LEGS AND HAVE THESE LITTLE SORES FROM SCRATCHING THOSE AREAS SO MUCH. MY BONES HAVE BEEN HURTING ME REAL BAD. MORE THAN THE NORM. THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS. ACTUALLY JOINT PAIN IS NOT SOMETHING I SUFFER WITH, BECAUSE I AM SO USED TO IT. AM I IN A FLARE UP RIGHT NOW? AM TAKING MY MEDS WHICH INCLUDE, PLAQUENIL, PERSANTINE WITH ASPIRIN AND COZAAR.SHOULD I CALL MY RHEUMATOLOGIST OR WAIT TIL MY APPOINTMENT IN MAY

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

For many of us, the disease stays in an active state where we are always suffering from one or more symptoms. A flare is when those symptoms get worse or the disease becomes even more active.
    One of the most common features of Lupus is the relapse/remission syndrome. When the disease worsens or is exacerbated, this is considered a flare. When the disease activity is lessened and symptoms are reduced, this is considered a remission of disease activity.
    Disease flare was defined, by doctors, as a change of greater than or equal to 1.0 in the physician's global assessment of disease activity (measured on a 0-3 scale) from the previous visit or from a visit within the last 93 days. So, if you've have 1 or more worsening symptoms since your last doctor visit, you doctor will consider you to be experiencing a flare. Flares are frequently characterized by worsening symptoms involving: musculoskeletal involvement, cutaneous involvement, and decreasing levels of C3 and C4.
    A lupus "flare" occurs when many of the disease symptoms worsen or when they appear after a time of remission. Some of the warning signs of a flare are increased fatigue and pain, a rash or fever . Stomach discomfort, headaches and dizziness may also be experienced.
    There are some things that you can do to reduce the occurences of a flare. First, learn to recognize the warning signs. Try to limit stress and schedule adequate rest and quiet times. Maintain a healthy, balanced diet and participate in moderate exercise whenever possible. If you have photosensitivity, limit your exposure to the sun.
    During a flare, you may have to adjust your goals and priorities to better fit your condition. Learn to live within your limitations rather than beyond them. We all suffer from Lupus flares and they cannot be predicted, unfortunately! I hope I've been helpful to you. Let me know if you need more information!
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

I'm curious about the dizziness... Is it a consistant light-headed thing, or is it just a quick feeling of dizziness?

I'm doing my own research and I get dizzy spells all the time. In fact just last night I had two dizzy spells. I don't like the conscious feeling like I might faint, but then it goes away.

Also, how long does it generally take for a skin rash to appear after exposure to sunlight? And is it possible to only have a few patches of the rash and not the entire area that was exposed to the UV rays?

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

For me, the dizziness is for just a few seconds and things blurr. For my best friend, it lasts for several minutes and she actually loses her balance. So, like everything else with Lupus, these symptoms are different for each of us. Just lik sun exposure...I feel the results within minutes (achy, burning muscles are my first symptom, then the fatigue and painful joints - I rarely get skin rashes). However, for my friend, she does not see the rashes or feel the results for many days. She does not get the achy, burning muscles or sore joints, but her skin rashes are horrible when it occurs!!
    There is no predicting anything with Lupus, that is why it is very important for you to know how your body reacts :lol:

I hope this was a little helpful

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saysusie
    For me, the dizziness is for just a few seconds and things blurr. For my best friend, it lasts for several minutes and she actually loses her balance. So, like everything else with Lupus, these symptoms are different for each of us. Just lik sun exposure...I feel the results within minutes (achy, burning muscles are my first symptom, then the fatigue and painful joints - I rarely get skin rashes). However, for my friend, she does not see the rashes or feel the results for many days. She does not get the achy, burning muscles or sore joints, but her skin rashes are horrible when it occurs!!
    There is no predicting anything with Lupus, that is why it is very important for you to know how your body reacts :lol:

I hope this was a little helpful

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    I just saw this and yes it is helpful... I appreciate the feedback. I just keep learning more and more everytime I log on.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thank You....That is why we are here - to help you, in any way that we can, to deal with this disease and to learn as much as you can about it. :lol:

Saysusie

Thanks

I am glad I am not the only one with the dizzieness....feels like your on a Merry Go Round....the last one I had lasted about 10 minutes....I thought Lord if make it through this one than I can handle anything. I remember I had to hold on to my desk (was sitting in my home office at the time). Anyway...they are very common for me and the norm is 4 to 5 mins... but that last one wow...what a dozzy...I hope everyone is well and God BLess you all!

Huggggssss, Dawn :angel:

Thanks

So, is this considered a symptom of Lupus?

I am new to this and have not been given a diagnosis yet. Dr say RA, Lupus, or maybe both.
    I am trying to gather everything that happens to me to hopefully help her with a diagnosis. My next Appt. is the end of Oct.

Yes, I have these. Sometimes so bad, the entire room spins and I have to lay down or I feel I will fall. Most are just grab something and hang on for a minute or two and its gone.

Kathy

Thanks

Me too. I yelled out Auntie Em, Auntie Em..

Oluwa