Thread: Getting ready for the office party

Thanks

Default Getting ready for the office party

I know, I am supposed to be on bedrest, but my husband is the boss, and therefore I must go tonight. I will stay until my body says, time for bed.
    Getting ready for this event is not wasy...with my bald head it's a challenge. What I am wearing:
    A very nice cream wool pantsuit, A sparkly gold turtleneck, my cream wool beret (matches wonderfully) with pearl earrings and pearls. It's nice, dressy but not TOO dressy,and (I think) classy.
    I'm awfully glad this is the only party I'm going to.

Thanks

It sounds very elegant and sophisticated! You will look great. I hope you have a nice time, just don't overdo.

Thanks

Kathy, I'll bet you looked beautiful! I hope you had a nice time!
    - Peach

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, you're right". - Mary Kay Ash

Thanks

the party was...ok. Unfortunately, my hubby's school is having a bit of a racial problem...blacks hating hispanics and vice-versa. THESE ARE THE TEACHERS! Hubby is so disgusted he's ready to fire all those involved. He has already had a meeting where he told them he would NOT be a part of anything that smacks of racism, and they'd better get their act together or begone.
    Anyway, the only people that showed up for the party were Anglos, so it truly was a "white Christmas" (bad pun, I know.)
    Aferwards, we stopped off at a little pub we know and sat by the fire, having hot Frangelica. As we were leaving, three complete strangers (men, and I think they were gay, not that it matters to me) stopped me and told us that I was so beautiful, what a gorgeous outfit, etc. made me feel WONDERFUL! Bald or not, I guess I still "got it"

Thanks

Hey, my male friends all have great taste in clothes - much better than mine. So if one of them compliments an outfit, I know it's sincere.

I find it incredibly sad that racism still affects so much of our everyday lives - how can the kids ever learn to get along if the "adults" (and I use the term loosely) don't? Children aren't born knowing how to hate - they learn it from the people around them. I think it's the job of any teacher to teach acceptance and tolerance, as much as math or English, and any teacher who can't do that should be fired! So more power to your hubby - if these people can't get their act together, they should be out.

Thanks

Hey the last person he threatened to fire said, "I'm gonna call the NAACP" (nevermind that it was her repeated incompetence that was getting her fired.) She went over his head to his boss, who is a weak, WEAK man. so Now he is stuck with her til he gathers enough evidence from her constant lateness, inappropriate racial comments to staff and students, etc so that there will BE no argument. As far as I know, the NAACP wouldn't get involved with a case where the persons being let go for just cause.
    I wanna start my own organization: NAPTSP---The National Association of People Tired of Stupid People. It would be multiracial, as I find stupidity crosses ALL barriers!

Thanks

Default Well, the latest on my husband's work racial problems...

After repeated verbal warnings and several "write-ups" (You HAVE to do all this in Texas, per the Texas Education laws), the attendance clerk muttered, "stupid n--ger" (I cant even TYPE that word!) after talking with the school secretary--and my husband overheard her. He called her into his office and said, "Get out of my school. NOW! I will no longer tolerate your attitude under my employment. You've been warned, written up and still you display your ignorant intolerance." SHE had the nerve to say, "But I am Hispanic just like you! Aren't you sick of these people."
    :shock: BOY, did SHE say the wrong thing! My husband had to bite his tounge from cursing her out in Spanish. He told her, " I don't give a d*mn WHAT race you are, and I am NOT 'just like you!' Don't even bother to pack your things. Get your purse, give me your keys, and don't EVEN ask me for a reference. Just get out of my face and out of my school."
    I have never been SO PROUD of my husband!!!!

Thanks

Way to go!!!! Give him a big cheer from all of us!!! It's time that people start getting the message that discrimination and prejudice are a two-way street - a minority who hates other minorities is just a much a bigot as any red-necked Southern member of the good old white boy club, and hating anyone because of the color of their skin makes you a RACIST, regardless of the color of your skin, white, brown, black or any shade in between.

Thanks

Well, now he has to ask his secretary to do the attendance clerk's job too (but she's glad to do it, bless her heart.)...and he has to hire another one (the job doesn't pay that well)...BUT he told me that almost all the staff has told him, "Thank God that awful woman is GONE!" and have related racial things she said to them that they didn't want to "burden" him with.
    I totally agree with you about racism. I personally think that it is one of the sins that God hates MOST. And it certainly has NO PLACE in a school where we are responsible for what these young people (OUR FUTURE) learn. I'm a teacher, and I never really "saw" race when I dealt with students. Instead, I saw, "There's Chantelle. She doesn't like to read out loud, but she reads just fine on her own." or, "Oh, sweet Alfred. If only I can find a way to get him to not be so afraid of math. I know he can do it."
    Why can't WE, as a human race, realize that the differences in our cultures and indeed, in US, make us stronger, make us better, make us infinitely human? Ah, well, enough of my ranting.

Thanks

Big pat on the back for your husband Kathy. That's fantastic. He truly walks the talk, and that's not as common as it should be.

In Minnesota, where the rumor is that everyone is "Minnesota-Nice" sometimes racism goes undergound. It's subtle and not always apparent. It almost makes it worse, since its insidious affects may not be known until the damage has been done. Someone 'makes nice' to someone's face, but behind the scenes they're undermining that same person. Awful, shameful and hard to combat.
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."