Thread: Chances of passing disease to child?

Thanks

Default Chances of passing disease to child?

I haven't been diagnosed as having Lupus yet, but I have most of the symptoms and a positive ANA of 320 with a Rim pattern. My mother is having similiar problems.

My biggest concern is my 4 year old daughter. She doesn't have any symptoms, but does anyone know the statistics of how likely she would be to have Lupus?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Cureeus; Some say that there is a familial predisposition to have the disease in a family. Having a High ANA does not necessarily mean that you have lupus. You must meet at least four of the eleven criteria to have lupus (those criteria can be found in other posts on this site).
    ALthough there is no specific gene for lupus, there are probably sets of genes that predispose certain individuals to possibly get the disease, but there is no certainty that one will indeed get it. If you are diagnosed with LUPUS, the chances are greater that your offspring will have a higher probablity of having a positive ANA. It is the interplay of gender, genetic inhertance and environmental factors which will determine if an individual will develop lupus.
    Do you have other family members with auto-immune diseases? If so, your family may have a predisposition for lupus and/or auto-immune diseases!

Saysusie :P

Thanks

My father has Multiple Sclerosis and I have Lupus but my brother and sister are both fine at this point. I think there is a predosposition of somesort but I don't believe at all that it is a given for every child. I know that it is always a concern and you should monitor if there are symptoms because my symtpoms were ignored until I was 18 by my previous family physician. I believe due to lack of knowledge but if you are educating yourself and monitoring the situation, I would not panic over it at his point. Just be aware. I think it is important that you figure out your diagnosis first.

Best of luck to you, your Mom and daughter.