Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: left side numbness

Thanks

Default left side numbness

I haven't been on in awhile due to my husband deploying to Iraq, working, taking care of my two boys, two dogs, new house, and having weekend bellydance gigs at restaraunts, weddings etc. Go figure that I'd be having more than usual flares. After taking plaquanil(sp? it's late) since may, some of the achiness has diminished, but now I'm getting a slew of dizzyness and numbness. It really scared me one day to the point I went to the ER(I abhore going) and they thought I might have had a stroke since my left side of my body was weak, numb, and I had trouble with virtigo. After cat-scans, bloodwork, and neuro testing they ruled out stroke and just left it as lupus attacking nervous system. I was dumbfounded because they said there was nothing they could do to subside the nasea, help with my swallowing (tongue was numb too), stop my eye from twitching, and just to deal with the weakness until the flare subsides. Is this normal? Granted I am treated by military dr's, but to be sent away without some sort of guidence to the situation? What would you have done? Thank you everyone for your continuing support!
    Angela
    Angela J.

Thanks

Angela, you need to ask your primary care doctor for an immediate referral to a neurologist, preferably one with experience in treating CNS lupus. Lupus can attack the nervous system, which can cause a variety of symptoms from seizures to stroke-like symptoms. In some people, lupus can can cause your blood to be thicker than normal, increasing your risk of blood clots and stroke. Lupus can also cause spasms of the blood vessels in your brain, which might cause temporary mini-strokes called transient ischemic attacks. Any of these conditions is potentially serious and may mean that your lupus needs to be treated more aggressively. Plaquenil is very helpful with many people with mild lupus, but nervous system involvement means you need stronger treatment to get it under control, So get in touch with the doctor treating your lupus, explain what is happening, and get a referral to a neurologist as soon as you can.

Thanks

Thank you for your suggestion and so quickly! I have an appointment set up next week for my rheumatologist, but I think I'll go see my primary this week since I took time off to recoup. I never realized it could progress like that. My dr's always make it seem that if I take these meds I'll maintain where I am or better. I've always had problems with tremors on and off with my hands and I have irregular heart rhythms, but this threw me for a loop. Again, thanks so much!
    Angela J.

Thanks

Angela -
    Did you end up getting a good answer from your Dr.s? I had a similar experience earlier this year, and am still working with the neuro to figure out an answer.
    Have you had any similar episodes?
    Is your hubby back safe and sound?
    Hope all is well.
    "What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear. What a privilege to carry everything to Him in prayer." (Old Rugged Cross)

Thanks

I had the same problem too but I had a jerk doctor that scratched me with a broken tongue depressor down my arms and legs and said if you can feel that then theres nothing wrong with you so now I have had to readjust the way I do things especially walking I have to watch my legs and feet to see if they are actually moving how I want them to move hope you get treated better than i did that day

Thanks

Hi Jaideni,
    I have this problem a lot and my Rheumatologist sent me to a Neurologist. The Neurologist ordered a pin test to be done on me with electrodes and pins. The pin test ruled that my right side was normal and the left leg showed neuropathy. It sounds like you could have neuropathy going on too. I think that it is terrible the way the doctor treated you with a broken tongue depressor. You need to see a Neurologist.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Thanks

I had a neuro that saw me in the hospital (complicated migraine/stroke?)so I stayed with her for follow up. After about 5 months, I went to see her to say that I was concerned because the numbness/tingling seemed to be getting worse, not improving. She said that if I could still use my muscles, why was I complaining? Then when I asked what should worry me, she said to come see her if I have symptoms of stroke again. How helpful.

So, with encouragement from the kind people on this site, I "fired" her. (I agree that jaidini should see a neuro - just know that they are not all fabulous - you may have to shop around for one that is compassionate.) The new neuro is now sending me to a neurosurgeon - but only because my language processing seems to have been affected, not for the neuropathy.

I don't understand why the neuropathy doesn't seem to concern them. I was under the impression that the idea was to stop its progress as soon as possible.

Kathy - once your neuropathy was confirmed with the pin test, did they take any action to try to prevent it from getting any worse, or are they just going to monitor it?
    "What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear. What a privilege to carry everything to Him in prayer." (Old Rugged Cross)

Thanks

Chrstngrl you mention that your language processing seems to have been affected van you tell me how? I have been noticing that I dont comprehend well when people talk to me and I have to keep reading things over and over and its never what I thought I read at first and everytime I look at a clock I think its 11everytime so I end up asking someone else or staring at the clock until the numbers change. I am getting more concerned about my health more now that im being treated than when I had no idea what was going on. Anyway hope your new doctor works out and I plan on making sure I see one of the two doc that I know still care about that patient and if they try to offer me that idiot again i will politely decline.

Thanks

jaidini - I would definitely tell your neuro about all of the things you mentioned. Those things are just not right. I would make sure you let your doc know that you are very concerned about this getting worse. They HAVE to take you seriously.

Don't let some dweeb tell you this is just a side effect of getting older!

My problems are more like not remembering words - I can even think of synonyms but the actual word is in a black hole. Or, I forget what I was saying in the middle of talking.
    What bothers me more, though, is that my typing ability has degraded. I don't realize when I've made mistakes, and have to go back and proofread my work. For me, this is abnormal. Also, I'm an excellent speller and I notice myself spelling things wrong now, even when I'm writing the word out. Sometimes I look at what I wrote and think - what the heck?

Did these symptoms pop up suddenly? Have you had an MRI done? I'm curious about how this has come about for you.

hugs

Thanks

No it has been slow but seems to be getting worse recently. My problem with doctors is that they feel that I am too young for some of my problems and so do I. Yesterday I read an email I sent to a company that I bought something from and noticed i spelled tried 'tryed' I used to be a good speller but now words dont look right and when I type in word theres like a million underlined words I hate using spell check but now i need it. I used to be the one people asked how to spell something now im doing the asking. Im hoping whatevers wrong with me is not to serious and can be reversed if not im going to have to seriously replan my future