Thread: pulmonary fibrosis /lupus

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default pulmonary fibrosis /lupus

hello to all,
    last time i did a post i had a question about shortness of breath, i have lupus and a list of other things, i've had lots of test, i now have pulmonary fibrosis, caused by lupus, , i did a sleep test and will need a machine to sleep, also did a breathing test , havn't found out about that as of yet, i'm going yo do pulmonary rehab, my question now is does anyone else have this ? i 'd like to hear from you, this is awful hard to deal with. helen [/i][/b]

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I do not have pulmonary fibrosis, but I thought I would just give you some information on the condition to help you understand it better. Pulmonary Fibrosis involves scarring of the lung. Gradually, the air sacs of the lungs become replaced by fibrotic (scarring) tissue. When the scar forms, the tissue becomes thicker causing an irreversible loss of the tissue’s ability to transfer oxygen into the bloodstream. The symptoms are usually, Shortness of breath (particularly with exertion), Chronic dry, hacking cough, Fatigue and weakness, Discomfort in the chest, Loss of appetite, and Rapid weight loss. Pulmonary Fibrosis is an autoimmune disorder (like Lupus) and can be caused by disease such as Scleroderma, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus and Sarcoidosis. One of the beliefs is that these diseases can cause a mutation in the SP-C protein or that they cause a microscopic injury to the lung. However, the exact cause of the condition remains unknown. There are currently no effective treatments or a cure for Pulmonary Fibrosis. Because the origin and development of the disease is not completely understood, misdiagnosis is common and the disease can be difficult to diagnose. A growing percentage of Lupus patients develop some degree of pulmonary fibrosis. However, Pulmonary fibrosis is less common in systemic lupus erythematosus than in rheumatoid arthritis or scleroderma. High-resolution CT scans show pulmonary fibrosis much more frequently than do chest radiographs (X-RAYS). Generally, the fibrosis involved predominantly the lung periphery and the lower lobes.
    Here is a web-site that I found that is pretty informative. I hope that it helps!
    www.users.california.com/~emile/Index.html - 17k
    (Pulmonary Fibrosis Information Page)

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie