Thread: ulcers in the ears?

Thanks

Default ulcers in the ears?

Can a person get uclers inside the ears? I feel like I have two rocks in my ears which I thought was wax build up. I tried for days to soften that up until I finally went to my doctor. She said it could be a sort of yeast infection in the ear and gave me drops and an oral med to swish in my mouth. I just have a feeling it might be something else related to my Lupus. Has anyone had this problem? Thxs!

Deb

Thanks

Hi, Deb. Have you had discoid lesions before with your lupus? People who develop discoid lesions often get them on the ears and inside the ear canal. These aren't the same type of ulcers that occur in the mouth and nose because the skin lining your ear canals is different from the mucous membranes inside the mouth and nose - the lesions on and inside the ears are usually more rash-like, or may be scaly and hard. If they become infected it can create an ulcerated area. If these are the problem, your doctor should be able to see them by examining your ears with an otoscope. I don't have discoid lesions on my skin but do get them sometimes in my ears and my doctor usually prescribes steroid ear drops. But you definitrly want to find out if it is lupus or a yeast infection, because the steroids prescribed for lupus make yeast infections worse. Hope this helps.

Thanks

Thanks Mary

Yes, I have had the scaly rash on the entire outside of my ears for quite some time now. It makes sense that it could have went into my ear. I have had the uclers in my nose and just outside the ear canal for a few months which have just cleared up in the last few weeks but are still tender, as I have upped my plaquenil, though the rash is still hanging on on my ears and hands. I tend to get fungal infections mostly on my leg (always the same place) and also on my feet. I also have vascularitis which seems to be improving too. Thanks for the advise I will discuss it with my Dr's. Thanks! Deb

Thanks

Are you careful about wearing a hat when you go outside? I'm religious about sunscreen but sometimes I forget about the ears and don't protect them - that's usually when I get the discoid lesions on the ears. Even if you have long hair it may not protect your ears and scalp. The indoor lighting in some stores has enough UV to trigger the rash for me. Some folks on the forum use a product called Miracell for the discoid lesions - I've never used it but you might ask about other people's experience with it.

Thanks

I do tend to forget about my ears and scalp. Thanks for the info I will look into the Miracell. I am really, really hating this Lupus today... :cry: