Thread: Lupus and Swollen Lymph Nodes

Thanks

Default Lupus and Swollen Lymph Nodes

Hello all,
    I have a lump in my thyroid. Got it biopsied in Aug, it was negative but has grown significantly in size since. There are also lymph nodes in my armpit and jaws that are very swollen. Does anyone know if this could be a connection w/ lupus?
    Thanks!

Thanks

Lupus can definitely cause swollen lymph nodes - the problem is there are many things besides lupus that also cause swollen lymph nodes, including chronic fatigue syndrome, mono, infection, and some more serious diseases. And a lymph node that's increased in size quickly should really be re-checked by your doctor. If your white cell count is high, this can cause your lymph nodes to feel swollen and very tender. Lupus can also cause inflammation of the ducts that go in and out of the lymph nodes allowing lymphatic fluid to circulate - this can cause lymphatic fluid to back up into the nodes and cause swelling and pain. But only your doctor can really tell what's causing the swelling and if it needs to be treated. Lymph node swelling related to lupus is generally treated by treating the underlying disease. I've had it happen a couple of times during a flare and both times it went away after a couple of months - but the first time my doctor wanted a CT scan just to make sure it was lupus and not something else. Hope this helps.