Thread: anyone with impaired fasting glucose (prediabetes) + lupus?

Thanks

Default anyone with impaired fasting glucose (prediabetes) + lupus?

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced elevated blood glucose (sugar)along with their lupus symptoms.

I recently became "prediabetic" per fasting glucose test and this coincided with my other (lupus-like) symptoms.

Am wondering if anyone with suspected or confirmed lupus also had this happen.

Thanks,
    Leslie

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have been told that I am pre-diabetic as per a fasting glucose test. I was told to watch my sugar intake, exercise (at least, walking) for a minimum of 30 minutes EACH AND EVERY DAY, and maintain a good weight. My doctor felt that, if I took these precautions, I should be able to avoid becoming fully diabetic.
    I did as she asked for 3 months, my next fasting glucose test was normal. However, I continue to watch my sugar intake, I exercise every day and I have not gained any weight. I don't want to be told again that my levels are elevated!!!

I hope that this is helpful
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default Hi, Leslie

Hi, Leslie. Were you prescribed prednisone for your lupus symptoms? Because it can definitely affect your blood sugar levels. So can a number of other prescription medicines. Other things that can affect your risk of pre-diabetes include being overweight, having high blood pressure, low HDL cholesterol and high triglycerides, a family history of diabetes, a history of gestational diabetes or giving birth to a baby weighing more than 9 pounds, or belonging to an ethnic or minority group at high risk for diabetes (Hispanics, native Americans and African Americans are all at increased risk). Woman with polycystic ovarian syndrome (POS) are also at high risk for developing diabetes.

Many people with pre-diabetes will go on to develop type II diabetes unless they work to control their blood sugar before developing full-blown diabetes. Even pre-diabetes doubles your risk of heart attack or stroke, so it's something to take seriously. As Susie explained, in many cases diet and lifestyle changes will b e enough to bring your blood sugar under control, unless you have an underlying disease like POS.

You may also want to buy a glucose monitor (available at any drugstore) and have your doctor teach you how to test your blood sugar. If your doctor precribes it, most insurers will cover it. Monitoring your blood sugar will show you how your body reacts to certain foods, especially carbohydrates. Some women have insulin resistance, meaning that their pancreas manufactures insulin, but their bodies don't utilize the insulin efficiently. So even though their insulin levels are normal or even high, their blood sugar is high. The combination of insulin resistance, high blood pressure, high LDL cholesterol and high triglycerides is sometimes called metabolic syndrome or syndrome X and doctors think it may run in families. So you want to find out about any family history of diabetes or heart disease.

I have a family history of diabetes on both sides and I take prednisone, so obviously blood sugar is an issue for me. I use a glycemic index chart to help me manage my blood sugar. The glycemic index measures the effect a carbohydrate has on your blood sugar levels. Low GI foods produce the smallest fluctuations in your blood sugar and insulin levels, while high GI foods may cause your blood sugar to go up rapidly. You can find glycemic index charts in most bookstores in the diet/nutrition section, or your doctor may refer you to a nutritionist. Making simple substitutions like oatmeal instead of cold breakfast cereal, or wholegrain breads instead of white toast, walking 30 minutes a day - all the little changes add up. You don't have to join a health club or go on a crash diet to make the important changes in your lifestyle. And the good news is that with diet and exercise changes, most people's blood sugar levels will go back to normal.

Thanks

Thank you. I should be clear--I do not have a diagnosis of any sort right now. I started feeling bad about 8-9 months ago and am just now being tested for possible lupus or something autoimmune in nature.

I am on no medication.

What I was trying to get at is--can hyperglycemia/hypoglycemia be part and parcel of lupus itself?

My fasting glucose has been on the slow but steady rise since April, and now falls into the prediabetic range, but if it keeps up at this rate, I should be official by next month.

I am not overweight (actually pretty thin), my cholesterol levels are excellent, I exercise. My eating habits are not too great, though.

I am just trying to make sense of what is happening to me. So far I have no information except that my fasting blood sugar is in the prediabetic range.

The only risk factor for diabetes that I have is that I had two babies nine pounds or more (and the third was pretty darn close).

Waiting for answers is soooooo hard.

Thanks

Default Hi ,again Leslie

I guess the short answer to your question is no - diabetic symptoms are not typical with lupus. Many lupus patients may develop diabetes - but it is usually as a result of medications such as prednisone, weight gain because patients are too tired and sore to exercise, hypertension from kidney disease, or other known risk factors for type II diabetes. So diabetes is a result of the lupus, but not part of the disease - if this makes any sense.

Type I diabetes is a form of auto-immune disorder in which the body does not produce any insulin at all. But this type of diabetes affects children and very young adults - not adults. And with this type of diabetes, there is no "pre-diabetic" stage -the body simply stops producing insulin and doesn't start again. Type I diabetes cannot be reversed or controlled with diet or medication - the patient must take insulin for the rest of her life.

Type II diabetes - formerly called adult-onset diabetes - is the most common type. Usually people with type II diabetes have known risk factors, but sometimes the disease develops for no apparent reason. But the fact that you've had two children who weighed more than nine pounds is a definite risk factor in and of itself. And if you also had a high birth weight when you were born, that is also a risk factor for type II diabetes.

Do you know if your doctor has tested your Ac1 hemoglobin levels? This is a blood test which gives a more accurate oicture of what your blood glucose levels are over a period of time. It might help to see an endocrinologist who might be able to get a handle on what is happening.

Thanks

Default thanks, Mary

Well, I was not a big baby (7 lbs 4 oz) so there goes that risk factor, lol, and I forgot to add that my BP is low, too.

I had a five hour glucose tolerance test a couple of weeks ago and it is making me absolutely crazy that the results are there, but doctor doesn't want to discuss them with me until December 14--at which time he will also have my other blood work back.

I did start a low glycemic index diet today, since from what I've been able to gather (from internet), if my fasting sugar is prediabetic, it's the smart thing to do to act as if I already had Type 2 from a diet/exercise.

I wonder if being prediabetic is in and of itself enough to have caused my symptoms (fatigue, muscle twitching, hair loss, migraine, neuropathy)?

I guess all in all Type 2 might be preferable to Lupus, but sounds pretty overwhelming right now. It is just so awful to know something is wrong, but have no action plan as to how to fix it.

Thanks

Leslie, most people with pre-diabetes and many peole with type II diabetes have no symptoms at all. If your blood sugar is not in the diabetic range, it is probably not causing your symptoms - but there may be some disease or condition causing all the symptoms. I know having to wait is frustrating - is there any way yopur doctor can move up your appt.?