Thread: new zealand hot springs

Thanks

Default new zealand hot springs

It's lizzy from Australia again! After my recent lupus flare up my family are keen to send me to new zealand to visist the hot springs in rotoura. is this just a myth or does sitting in hot springs really work??? and is this all i have to do? just sit in hot springs? or is there more to it?? do you have to get a massage every day too?? has anyone experienced this? does this increase my chances of going into remission??

Thanx lizzy bee

Thanks

Hi Lizzybee.
    I have never heard of anything like this at all. I would be concerned about the sun exposure if you are sunsensitive. It might feel good, but I don't see how it can put you into remission. I think that the medications for the most part put you in remission. I don't see houw a message everyday would do all that much either. It would feel good, but as far as remission, I don't think so. Are you on medications? Maybe Marycain, StJames, or Saysusie would know more about this. They will be on later and could probably give you more insight. I know with my Lupus the Medications tend more then anything else to put me in remission. Good luck and I hope that you can get the answers to this.

Hugs,
    Kathleen
    Live one day at a time: It's easier that way

Dx with SLE in 1994
    Dx with Sjogrens 1994
    Dishydrotic Eczema 1974
    Severe Osteo-Arthritis

Meds:
    Imuran 125mg
    Plaquenil 400mg
    Sulindac (Clinoril) 400mg
    Soma prn up to 4 times a day
    Darvacet prn

Thanks

Default Hi, Lizzy

I would definitely check with your doctor before considering this. I don't know much about Rotoura, but I've heard it mentioned by friends who live in NZ and New South Wales, and I got the distinct impression you had to hike to even get to the hot springs. Since you are going into summer, I would also be concerned about possible sun (UV) exposure if the geothermal springs are outdoors. Lupus, and some of the medications used to treat it, can also affect your body's internal "thermostat", affecting your ability to tolerate heat. So extremely hot baths and showers might make you feel dizzy, weak, or even feverish. If you do choose to use the springs, make sure someone is with you, and limit yourself to a few minutes at a time until you are sure the heat doesn't adversly affect you.

There are quite a few natural hot springs in the area of the US where I live but most of them are sulfur hot springs. Just the smell of the water makes me sick to my stomach, but some people with rheumatism think they help the stiffness and pain. But they go on a regular basis, every week, more like going to a spa, and I've never heard anyone claim that the springs cured anything, just helps the symptoms. And if you have open lesions or other skin problems from the lupus, I would also be concerned about the possibility of infection.

I think your family are just concerned and want to help, which is great. But this is a decision that needs to be made between you and your doctor. Much as your family wants to help, you are the one who has to live with this disease - ultimately, you must be the one who makes the final decisions about your medical care. But, unfortunately, lupus isn't a simple disease, and there are no simple solutions or quick fixes. This may be hard for your family to understand, because when most people hear about a disease, they automatically assume there is a cure - something you can do to make it all go away. believe me, all of us wish for that too, but right now it doesn't exist. Taking your medications, eating a healthy, balanced diet, getting enough rest, and reducing your stress level are the best things you can do for yourself right now. And hopefully your symptoms will start tp improve soon.

Thanks

I have been in hot springs many, many times only here in California. They feel GREAT when you are in them. But once you get out there is no difference. It is similar to taking a very hot bath, sometimes they make you feel better sometimes you feel weaker and dizzy. It wouldn't be worth a hike to me. But it does make your skin softer. I've had lupus for 3 years and over the past 3 years I've been in natural hot springs at least 7 times.... I still have lupus. So I don't think they really help. I'm sorry. I hope you feel better soon.
    For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans for good and not evil to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11

Thanks

Default thanks for replying

Thanks to those guys who replied to my new zealand query. I am very aware that there are no cures or 'quick fixes' for lupus, believe me I was diagnosed 2 years ago and my fight is far from over. I know the hot spring will not cure me I just wanted to know if anyone had tried this and if it helped with the lupus. Lupus affects my joints, I am 22 and somtimes it feels like i am 60 so thats why i think the springs would be good. And it is at an enclosed resort so no hiking! I am on plenty of posion (medication) which i will continue to take, regardless of going to new zealand or not! Thanks again for the messages
    Luv lizzy bee

Thanks

The people who go to the hot springs around this part of the world all say it does help the arthritic symptoms. I'm not sure how long the effect lasts - most of the people I know go once or twice a month. I've never tried it because my skin is super sensitive to heat - even a hot shower causes a heat rash. But if you are having a lot of joint pain, and the hot springs are indoors, it might at least make you feel better, and being pampered at a spa is good for everyone's morale! If it's anything like the places around here, cost might be an issue, but if your parents want to do this for you, I would accept with gratitude! Just do be sure to check with your doctor! Let us know how it goes.