Thread: Shakey!!!

Thanks

Default Shakey!!!

Hello, I was just wondering if this is a lupus thing as well. I get really shakey sometimes. Often but not always after some sort of physical exertion. My hands get so shakey I can't do much with them for a while and my legs feel really weak and unsteady. I've never seen it listed as a symptom so I was just wondering if anyone else gets this and what could be causing it. I've mentioned it to doctors and they all seem to dismiss it as anxiety or lack of food or something. Thanks for the help.

Andy
    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Thanks

Default I get that

Hi Andy
    I get that too sometimes.I thought it was related to prednisone. (It seemed worse when I was on a higher dose) I don't have it very much now (I am at 12.5mg). I don't have any other insight unfortunately. Hope it resolves quickly - it is a weird feeling.
    karen

Thanks

Default Thanks but...

I'm not on prednisone so it can't be that for me. Maybe just muscle fatigue or something cause it's usually after I've done some sort of physical activity. Oh well, I'm sure we'll figure it out.

Andy
    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

If you are having neurological manifestations of Lupus, that might be a cause for your shaking hands. Has your doctor mentioned anything about you having neurological complications with your Lupus?

Saysusue

Thanks

Hi, Andy - I asked my nephew about this - he's an athletic trainer, so I thought he might have some insight into the exercise aspect of this. He gave me a very long explanation I didn't fully understand, but apparently exercise and other physical exertion can cause a substance called lactic acid to build up in your muscles. Holding your breath when you exercise, or breathing shallowly, can also cause this lactic acid buildup. Apparently this is also what accounts for cramps and "stitches" in the side when people run, swim, etc. When the exertion stops, the lactic acid is released into the blood stream, and your body has to use extra oxygen to break it down. If your body doesn't have the extra oxygen to spare, it takes it from other tissues. According to Chris, you may also need to have your calcium levels checked as low blood calcium can cause similar symptoms. He also suggested that you make sure to take deep, regular breaths during exercise or physical activity, if you do activities like strength training, alternate this with aerobic exercise, and take frequent "breathers". You should also check your blood sugar during one of these episodes to rule out hypoglycemia. This is way out of my area and I don't know how it might be affected by lupus, but i thought it might suggest some issues for you to research and discuss with your doctor.

Thanks

Default hey

By physical activity I mean stuff like carrying a case of water in from the car and stuff like that. Nothing too crazy for me these days unfortunately and I've been checked for hypoglicemia in the past. As for neurological issues with lupus I've been to a neurologist for migraines but he says he doesn't think they're from lupus but aside from that I forgot to mention the shakiness to him so I'm not sure about that possibility. Anyways, thanks for the ideas.

Andy