Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thanks Veterans!

Thanks

Default Thanks Veterans!

I know this is nothing to do with Lupus but as the mom of a Marine ...and a very handsome brave one at that ....I'm like to thank any and all service members out there for their sacrifices and I want to tell you that I for one am very proud of all you do for us each day! So on this Veterans Day 2006 THANK YOU!!!

Thanks

Absolutely! They are heroes.

Thanks

Yes today is Vetrans Day. I posted a site to send our service members serving in Iraq and Afghanistan a thank you card. My husband retired from the military and I served 5 years on active duty and 6 years in the reserves before Lupus forced me out. My son served a tour in Iraq with the 82nd Airborne unit. I know that our service members would love a thank you card from all of us. Here is a site that I found where you can send them a card to say thank you. http://www.letssaythanks.com/.

Hugs,
    Kathleen
    Live one day at a time: It's easier that way

Dx with SLE in 1994
    Dx with Sjogrens 1994
    Dishydrotic Eczema 1974
    Severe Osteo-Arthritis

Meds:
    Imuran 125mg
    Plaquenil 400mg
    Sulindac (Clinoril) 400mg
    Soma prn up to 4 times a day
    Darvacet prn

Thanks

As part of our christmas celebration, my husband and I take the money we would spend on gifts for each other and donate to charities of the other's choice. There are many organizations that support the military overseas and at home, including helping military families in need, providing PX gift certificates and care packages to soldiers who don't have family to send them things, and providing phone cards through Operation Uplink. If you are an animal lover, fostering a military pet is a great way to help. You can find information about many different programs at American Supports You - http://www.americasupportsyou.mil/am...syou/help.html

Thanks

Today I spent the day with an old veteran. He served in the Korean and Vietnam war. His goes by Parker and he is my father in law. We do not see him very often and he is getting old. So this time when he asked me if I would come along with him to the turkey shoot I did not refuse. Keep in mind the turkeys we shot were in the form of paper! No sooner did I arrive I heard my name called out. My husband pointed and said, "Go with dad." To say I was shocked was to put it mildly. All these expert shooters standing around holding their large guns waiting for me to compose myself and face that target.

I was in complete fear, I just knew for sure I would hit the target of my opponent and not mine. I gently squeezed that trigger just as I had been instructed to do. Darn near took my fingernail off and no one told me it would knock me off my feet. I did manage to hit my target, I had two little holes on my paper. Of course they were no where near the turkey but they were on there just the same. Parker was determined to see his daughter in law win a shoot, so with his encouragement I pressed on. The second time I shot I actually got closer and many hits were on that paper. Parker smiled with pride. I heard my name called and stepped up once again. Listening to all Parkers instructions, I hit a bulls eye!! So on 11/23/2006 we will be dining on a fine 23 lb turkey.

The highlight of the day was looking into those baby blue eyes of a man I so admire. To listen to the others talking about what a great guy he is. Women coming up to me telling me they won their first shoot because Parker lent them his gun and taught them how to use it. Watching my husband beam with pride when his daddy beat out the rest and doing it with an old shot gun he has had for years. You cannot put a price on that. I know we will not have him around much longer, he has a leaky heart valve and many other conditions, but I just stood there looking at that man and thinking about the wars he has fought. How he and many others like him were there for all of us. So its to these brave men and women I salute you! Happy Veterans Day
    Oh and I carry the bruise on my shoulder with pride
    It is not possible to be worried while fully trusting in God.

Thanks

In Flanders Field the poppies blow
    Between the crosses row on row
    That mark our place,
    And in the sky
    The larks still bravely singing fly
    Scare heard amid the guns below.
    We are the dead.
    Short days ago we lived
    Felt dawn, saw sunset's glow
    Loved and were loved,
    And now we lie in Flanders Field.
    Take up our battle with our foe.
    To you with trembling hands we throw
    The torch.

Lest we forget!

Thanks

We Shall Keep the Faith

Oh! you who sleep in Flanders Fields,
    Sleep sweet - to rise anew!
    We caught the torch you threw
    And holding high, we keep the Faith
    With All who died.

We cherish, too, the poppy red
    That grows on fields where valor led;
    It seems to signal to the skies
    That blood of heroes never dies,
    But lends a lustre to the red
    Of the flower that blooms above the dead
    In Flanders Fields.

And now the Torch and Poppy Red
    We wear in honor of our dead.
    Fear not that ye have died for naught;
    We'll teach the lesson that ye wrought
    In Flanders Fields.

Thanks

Marycain that is beautiful :!:

Thanks

WOW MaryCain, I-am-impressed!!!! Do you do a lot of this style of writing? As a fellow writer, I must know! :shock: :shock:

Thanks

I am not the author of the second poem - I wish I knew who was. Our local VFW prints both these poems on a pretty card that is included with the Buddy Poppies, to explain the significance of the red poppies. So I thought the two poems needed to go together on the forum posting too.

The poem posted by Mrs. Murdena is called "In Flanders Field". It was written by a Canadian surgeon and officer named John MaCrae, in 1915, after one of the most terrible battles of the First World War, the Second Battle of Ypres, in Belgium, an area often known as Flanders. For seventeen days and nights, Allied soldiers held the line against an overwhelming German force although hundreds of Canadian soldiers died from poison gas attacks and artillery wounds. On the day before he wrote the poem, one of McCrae's close friends was killed in the fighting - McCrae had to perform the burial service because the chaplain had been killed. There were no markers or gravestones or flowers, only makeshift wooden crosses and wild red poppies gathered from the ditches and scattered across the graves. McCrae wrote the poem on a piece of paper which he then threw away. Another officer found the poem and sent it to England, where it was published in a magazine, and became one of the most famous war poems ever written. It is engraved on many war memorials, and on McCrae's own tombstone. It has inspired many response poems, including the one I quoted, and several songs, including a ballad called "Flanders" sung by Andy Stewart, the Irish folksinger.

And littlered - I do write - poetry, music and short stories although I'm definitely not a professional - it's strictly for my own enjoyment, and stories for the kids. I teach a legal writing course for the associate attorneys at our law firm, but it is definitely not fun! It's more like an exercise in slow torture - as a teacher yourself, you know how hard it is to teach someone how to condense fifty pages of gibberish into something readable. And it seems more and more people are graduating from college and law school unable to write at all, so I often have to go back and teach the basics.