Thread: About thick gray skin on heels..........

Thanks

Default About thick gray skin on heels..........

Does anyone know what would cause the skin on a persons heels to become thick and turn gray and then crack and peel off? I am having a real problem with this and it is terrible. What can I do about this?

Thanks,
    Kathleen
    Live one day at a time: It's easier that way

Dx with SLE in 1994
    Dx with Sjogrens 1994
    Dishydrotic Eczema 1974
    Severe Osteo-Arthritis

Meds:
    Imuran 125mg
    Plaquenil 400mg
    Sulindac (Clinoril) 400mg
    Soma prn up to 4 times a day
    Darvacet prn

Thanks

Kathleen, these sound like heel fissures - a form of callus - they are very common, especially in people over forty, or anyone who does a lot of standing on a hard surface. Wearing shoes or socks that don't fit well, being overweight, or having very dry skin can also contribute. Unless you have diabetes or vascular problems, they are generally a cosmetic problem, not a medical one. Soaking your feet to soften the calluses, and using a gentle pumice stone or pumice scrub, then an extra healing lotion will usually heal them up. You can also buy socks that have extra heel padding to protect your feet. Depending on how you sleep, you may also be putting pressure on your heels as you sleep - wearing heel protectors at night may help. You can also buy over the counter treatments - CalleX and Total Foot Recovery Cream are both good. If these treatments don't help, your shoes may be the problem so you might need to see a podiatrist.

Thanks

A friend bought me something called Isle Glow...it's sea salt with oil of peppermint. Use it under warm running water in the tub, the sea salt gently exfoliates the skin, and the peppermint oil feels sooooo wonderful on your feet. Heaven!!! Maybe do a search for it on the net. I'll ask Millie where she got it.

Thanks

Oh for goodness sake ...go get a pedicure or buy yourself a pumice stone!

Thanks

Maam, I have a pumice stone and in fact yesterday I saw the doctor, my Rheumatologist, and he is testing me for Scleroderma. I also have SLE. He is also going to send me to a Cardiologist to test for Arteriosclerosis. My father passed away from both Arteriosclerosis and Scleroderma that made his heart, lungs, and liver hard. I only asked as my fathers feet started doing the same thing and his fingers started curling at the tips just like mine in his 40's. I did not mean to be rude, but you know I think that I have a reason to worry. A Pedicure is not the answer and yes I do have a pumice stone that I use. I also have a very long history of Dishydrotic Eczema that causes deep big blisters on the bottems of my feet and around the nailbeds of my toes and on my hands.

Kathleen
    Live one day at a time: It's easier that way

Dx with SLE in 1994
    Dx with Sjogrens 1994
    Dishydrotic Eczema 1974
    Severe Osteo-Arthritis

Meds:
    Imuran 125mg
    Plaquenil 400mg
    Sulindac (Clinoril) 400mg
    Soma prn up to 4 times a day
    Darvacet prn

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Ms Murdena;
    I have not been able to be here for about a week due to computer problems. However, I read your response to KayCee and just wanted to remind you that we are here to offer support to our members. Each and every concern expressed here is important to the person who posted it. While it may sound trivial to the outsider, more often than not, it is very serious to the one who posts it.
    Please try to remember that we are here to give support and comfort and the we never, ever trivialize anyone's questions nor do we ever minimize their concerns.

Thank You for respecting everyone here!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Kathleen, I had this problem too. It was really bad just like you said...thick and cracking all over the heel and foot. The skin by the toe nails were cracked and sore too. I also started using a Melaleuca product called Renew Intensive Skin Therapy Lotion...just a little after the baking soda soakings and that helps. No other lotions have helped, just made it worse.