Thread: Flexeril

Thanks

Default Flexeril

Hello everyone...I saw a new rheumatologist and she put me on Flexeril. Was wondering if anyone here is on it and what their experience is with it. Does it take a while to work? Side effects? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks. Jackie
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Suess

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Jackie;
    Flexeril (Cyclobenzaprine) is a muscle relaxant. It works by blocking nerve impulses (or pain sensations) that are sent to your brain. Flexeril is used to treat pain, tenderness, and limited motion caused by muscle spasms. Usually, patients see improvement after 2-3 weeks using Flexiril. Common side effects include drowsiness, dizziness, and blurred vision. Other side effects are respiratory depression and decreased functionality in various muscles. Long term use has been associated with vision damage. Flexeril may also cause dry mouth. Sucking a hard candy, chewing gum, or melting ice chips in your mouth can provide temporary relief.
    Here are the less common or rare side effects - contact your doctor if you notice any of these:
    Abnormal heartbeats, abnormal sensations, abnormal thoughts or dreams, aggressive behavior, agitation, anxiety, bloated feeling, blurred vision, confusion, constipation, convulsions, decreased appetite, depressed mood, diarrhea, difficulty falling or staying asleep, difficulty speaking, disorientation, double vision, excitement, fainting, fatigue, fluid retention, gas, hallucinations, headache, heartburn, hepatitis, hives, increased heart rate, indigestion, inflammation of the stomach, itching, lack of coordination, liver diseases, loss of sense of taste, low blood pressure, muscle twitching, nausea, nervousness, palpitations, paranoia, rash, ringing in the ears, severe allergic reaction, stomach and intestinal pain, sweating, swelling of the tongue or face, thirst, tingling in hands or feet, tremors, unpleasant taste in the mouth, urinating more or less than usual, vague feeling of bodily discomfort, vertigo, vomiting, weakness, yellow eyes and skin.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Jackie - I have used flexeril on several occasions - my doctor prescribes it when I have to increase my prednisone dose to keep my fribromyalgia from flaring on the steroids. Some doctors prescribe it short-term for pain caused by muscle spasms - other doctors prescribe it on a long-term basis for the muscular pain of fibromyalgia,

Some cautions - this drug can cause extreme sleepiness so don't drive until you know how it affects you. It is a central nervous system depressant - so don't drink alcohol or combine this drug with other CNS depressants like tranquilizers or sleeping pills.

You must not take this drug if you are taking MAO inhibitors or have taken them within the last two weeks because it can cause a serious drug interaction - MAO inhibitors are an older class of drugs that includes the antidepressants Nardil and Parnate.