Thread: Skin disorders in African Americans

Thanks

Default Skin disorders in African Americans

I have dark brown skin that has white patches on my shoulders, front of thighs, buttocks area. It looks like I'm turning caucasian, however, one doctor said they can see redness so it appears to be inflammation of the skin.

It is very noticeable since I am dark. Has anyone experienced this skin problem? :?: If so, how is it being treated and any other particulars would be helpful.

I started drinking Aloe Vera juice and taking Vitamin C to see if there is any change. I once had awesome skin.

I stopped wearing shorts, and skirts because of this. HELP!

thanks...

Thanks

how does the Aloe vera juice work for you. Any help in remission

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Linda;
    Are the areas hard or do they feel firm? It may be Scleroderma, which is common is women with SLE. Scleroderma can range from a form localized to the skin to a severe disease that affects the internal organs. Localized scleroderma can range from just a few spots on the skin to covering almost the entire skin surface. The skin lesions of localized scleroderma feel firm and hard. The color is ivory to yellowish and can occur on the trunk of the body, on the face, arms and legs.
    There is not a known medication that will stop or reverse the process. Some docotrs prescribe a topical cortisone medication, creams and moisturizers and sunscreens.
    You said that your doctor could see redness which would indicate some type of inflammation. You may have cutaneous lupus. In order to determine this, you will have to take blood tests. Are the areas coin shaped (discoidal) lesions and do they leave scarring?
    There is also Subacute Cutaneous Lesions with LUPUS. They are non scarring, red and coin-shaped and get worse when exposed to the sun. They can sometimes look like psoriasis lesions and can cover large areas of the body.
    Most skin diseases in Lupus are treated with hydroxychloroquine (plaquenil), oral steroids and vitamin A derivatives (Tegison).
    You should ask your doctor to run tests to determine exactly what type of skin manifestation you are exhibiting. In that way, you can get started on appropriate treatment!
    Best Of Luck
    Saysusie