Thread: I want to run a marathon...am i nuts?

Thanks

Default I want to run a marathon...am i nuts?

I'm thinking about running a marathon or a half marathon but I'm scared I won't be able to do it. My joints are so bad and I only have 60% lung fuction. I surf and run when I can and I love to play basketball. Does anyone think I'm crazy? i'm out of shape but I have a year to train. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Default Not crazy

I think that as long as you're prepared to suffer the pain that will result from it and the possibility of a flare then by all means go for it. One thing we lupies have to try to do is not let the disease keep us from doing all the stuff we love. Yeah, we have to limit ourselves to a point but if you can handle the pain, then sometimes it's worth it. Just my opinion though...and maybe I'm crazy too...hahaha.

Andy
    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Thanks

As long as you feel up to it, go for it!! But don't push too hard... If you find you can't do the whole thing, stop... Do it, but be smart about it!
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Thanks

8)
    IF you can PHYSICALLY DO IT THEN BY ALL MEANS DO SO ...and let them know you are running for LUPUS !!!!!

HAVE a T-SHIRT MADE AT THE MALL that says I HAVE LUPUS and am RUNNING FOR THE CURE.

WADDA TA THINK?????

STJAMES

GOOD LUCK BTW
    MY GOAL IN LIFE IS TO BE AS GOOD A PERSON AS MY DOG ALREADY THINKS I AM.....

Thanks

Default Life is crazy anyway, so why not?

The training part might be good for your lungs - I went mountain biking in Alaska two years after I was diagnosed because it was something I'd wanted to do since the first time I was in Alaska. If it's something that means a lot to you, go for it! Believe me, as you get older, you don't regret the things you did in life nearly as much as the things you didn't do.

Thanks

Default thanks guys!

i'm going to start out early--run a 5k on the beach in april and go from there. i'm definitely raising money for lupus! that t-shirt will be on my back as i run!

Thanks

8)
    YOU GO GIRL !@!!!!!!

GOOD FOR YOU !@!!!!!!

TRY TO GET SOME CORPORATE PEOLE TO BACK YOU AND GIVE MONEY FOR EACH MILE YOU RUN !!!!!

YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!

I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST.....I WILL BE PULLING FOR YA !!!!

JUST BE CAREFULL !!!!!

STJAMES 8)
    MY GOAL IN LIFE IS TO BE AS GOOD A PERSON AS MY DOG ALREADY THINKS I AM.....

Thanks

Yeah, I was planning on doing the breast cancer 3 day walk next year. Then I got a flare and got diagnosed. So I don't think I'll be doing that anytime in the future as sick as I've been this year.

I wish you the best of luck. You can do it!

Thanks

I think you are WONDERFUL for doing this! DO involve your physicians during all your training, etc. Are you allowed to carry oxygen or would the weight be just too much (I imagine so.) You already know the drill, wear sunscreen, a big hat, stay hydrated, etc.....but GO FOR IT if your docs say ok. You're not crazy. You are courageous!!!