Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lupus and Hair Loss

Thanks

Default Lupus and Hair Loss

I seem to be losing hair -- not quite chunks, but significantly higher volume whenever I brush or wash it. I'm confused as to whether this is due to the Lupus and what role Plaquenil plays in it. What I've read online seems inconsistent.

Is this a temporary thing, or can I expect it to be an ongoing problem?

How many people have found the vitamin products useful? How long did it take to see a difference?

How do Nioxin shampoo products help and what products among the many in their suite have those recommending them found most helpful? How long did it take to see a difference?

Thanks

I'm on Plaquenil and have the same thing going on. I'm losing gobs of hair when I wash it.

Thanks

For many people the hair loss seems to be related to disease activity - for others it's a constant problem. Hair loss is a side effect of many medications often prescribed for lupus patients, including plaquenil, blood thinners, anti-depressants, birth control pills and blood pressure medicines. Hair loss can also be caused by thyroid problems or hormonal imbalances, so it's important to talk to your doctor, to make sure your hair loss isn't caused by something other than lupus. I think many of us tend to blame lupus for all our symptoms and sometimes forget other thingsa can go wrong too.

You shouldn't use rogaine or similar products without checking with your doctor first - they may contain ingredients that interact with your meds, and these products can also irritate your scalp. A good quality shampoo that contains amino acids can help strengthen your hair - your hair stylist can help you pick one right for your hair type. You should also stay away from hot oil treatments and permanents that inflame hair follicles, and anything that stresses your hair - hot blow ryers, curling irons and hot rollers, and wearing your hair in a ponytail or braids can all increase hair breakage and loss. Wearing a hat to protect your hair and scalp outdoors is also important.

I have lost almost all my hair several different times and it has always grown back. Discoid lupus affecting the scalp can cause permanent hair loss in affected areas, but most lupus-related hair loss usually isn't permanent.

Thanks

Hi I have that too, it seems for me to come and go there will be a few weeks where my hair will be falling otu more than usual and then it will stop and seem to grow and get quite thick.

I haven't been on plenquenil but I think i've heard that it coudl cause that. When I was put on predisone I had some pretty good hair loss happening and I had to chop off my hair pretty short.

I would mention it to your doc so that he can rule out other possible problems like your thyroid.

I became pretty fond of scarves, they are great and fashionble

take care
    Stefanie
    SLE Lupus. Fibro, IBS, RA\

Matt's Brown Eyed Girl!

"I'm not broken, I'm antique; a little worn out but still beautiful if not more so because of it."

Thanks

Well, I have been experiencing a little hair loss for about 5-6 days now. I don't really know how to react. I have been so emotional and moody. I finally broke down and told my fiancee last night because he could not understand why I was acting this way.
    It is just so embarrassing and scary and makes me feel like less of a woman. I also don't want people to look at me like I have a disease. Luckily, I have really thick hair, so you can't even really tell. But I am still kinda scared. I am thinking of getting back on anti depressants because I am getting so emotional and have been snapping at Travis soo much.
    He is being great about everything, and says that he is gonna be here for me through everything.

Thanks

Default Alopecia Universalis

I lost all my hair in 2 weeks, this time last year actually. Started out as alopecia totalis, which is all the hair on your scalp.
    And now I have alopecia universalis, so no hair anywhere, no eyebrows, no eye lashes...you get the picture.
    I was put on Plaquenil to help the hair grow back, helped a bit, the patches grow and fall out again.
    Yep, it's pretty hard in this society to loose all your hair at 26. I was engaged, but we broke up soon after, actually, on Valentine's Day, after 5 years. You think you know someone, go figure, hair is all that important.
    Yeah, loosing your hair when you don't have a real reason, I always feel like if I was going through chemo it would at least seem purposeful, if that makes sence.
    NIOXIN is what I use on my scalp, I leave the conditioner on as long as possible, a good 15mins. I love the tingly feeling, gives me hope that it will inspire new growth one day...

Thanks

Wow. My grandma is like that, no hair anywhere. I am hoping that I don't end of like that at 22! I guess I will deal with it if i do.
    I kind of feel the same way. BF says he will be with me forever, but what will happen if I really do lose all my hair?? I guess I've proven to be tough and will pull through it either way.

Thanks

I have heard that Anthralin, a psoriasis treatment, has been used by some dermatologists to regrow hair in complete alopecia where it is auto-immune and not genetic. Has your doctor ever mentioned this as a possibility?

Thanks

Default Anthralin

Yep, I tried all doses of Anthralin, which is a compund that is mixed into a cream you apply at night. It irratates the scalp, itches like crazy and burns after months of usage. I had the steroid injection into the scalp as well. I've pretty much tried it all, the vitamins, the natural hair growth "potions", the have been for sessions of scalp massages.
    So, it gets to a point where you put on your wig , draw in some eyebrows and I can put on fake lashes in 3 secs (no kidding)and move on...

Thanks

Have you ever had the genetic testing to see if you have the gene for alopecia universalis? I'm not sure how expensive the testing is, but apparently doctors have isolated one particular gene which many people with AU share. If you do have the gene, it might explain why none of the treatments seem to work for you.