Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leg Pain

Thanks

Default Leg Pain

Sorry to give two moans together but thought I would see if anybody else shares my symptoms. My right leg from the knee down stops me sleeping, it feels as if it is really swollen but looks normal. Its been checked out and pulses are fine no evidence of blood clot. One GP tried me on quinine but it made me hallucinate--I don't think its cramp, It hurts when I get into bed and when I cannot sleep I get up and if I sit in a chair it eases.
    Does anybody have this problem. I have Fibromyalgia and Osteo Arthritis, Poly Arthrits, Sle etc
    Love Val

Thanks

Hi, Val - it's nice to see you posting. Have you had an EMG and nerve conduction studies done to test for neuropathy? When I first developed a problem with neuropathy, my legs felt very tight and swollen even though they looked okay, and my feet became very sensitive to touch or pressure - even a blanket bothered me. Does this sound similar to what you experience? It took a while for this problem to be diagnosed because I had an ongoing vasculitis and docs thought this was causing the symptoms. The problem always seems to be worse at night, which I gather is fairly typical for neuropathy.

As a nurse, you know how many different organs lupus can affect, and how many strange symptoms it can trigger - sometimes for no medicaly apparent reason. I hope your doctors will be able to solve the problem quickly.

Thanks

Default Leg Pain

Thats me exactly. I spent most of last night sitting in a chair as it seems less painful when its hanging down. As soon as I get into bed it hurts and hurts. this morning I feel like a zombie--lack of sleep.
    I have to have a bed cradle in my bed as I cannot cope with covers and if hubby touches leg it is soooo painful.
    I will see GP and see what he says, I have tried Neurontin(Gaberpentin) but it just knocks me out and I wake feeling hung over--any other suggestions?
    and thanks for replying
    Val

Thanks

I take neurontin but I had to start at a low dose and build up a tolerance to it over several weeks - it made me incredibly groggy at first. I've also used tegretol but its side effects were more unpleasant than the neuropathy. I get a lot of relief from a topical cream that contains a low dose of elavil and baclofen that can be applied right to the skin. It had to be prepared at a compounding pharmacy because it isn't a regular prescription. It might also be a good idea to get your vitamin b6 and thyroid levels checked to make sure they are contributing to the problem.

A lot of doctors in the States are prescribing cymbalta for neuropathic pain but I don't know if this is common in England.

I also use a cradle to hold the blankets off my feet and legs. I also sleep in a adjustable bed and that seems to help too.

Thanks

Default Leg Problems

Thanks Mary. i don't think I have had my B6 levels checked. My thyroid is checked by Gp as I am on Thyroxine. I am going to see Gp next week to discuss both of these problems. I will keep you posted, and Thanks again
    Val

Thanks

Default Leg Pain

I have a neuropathy in my leg as well, and the neutontin is helping. Be careful 'ramping up' to higher doses, if that's what they prescribe. I had a bad experience with that. It's working well now, however, and relieving the nerve pain. Nerve pain is very different than muscle pain, as I'm sure you know, and standard pain relievers (narcotics included) just don't touch it unless you take enough to knock you out! Sure sounds like what you're experiencing, Val. Hope the doctors are on the right track.
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Default Leg pain

Thanks for your input
    Val

Thanks

Hi Val

yup sounds just like me!!!!!! and yup ditto on the having to sit in a chair!

My right leg knee and below keeps me from sleeping major especially in the last week or so. I find that I have to sit in a chair or on my couch and alternate between sitting with my legs down in a usual sitting position and sitting with my legs elevated usually on my coffee table. It's nutty!

I get out my heating pad and that helps but for me really there is no relif at least not a relif long enough for me to sleep.

I have also been tested for blood clots and nope I think personally it's the arthritis and I know this last week here in Canada it's been really bad wheather it's cold enough for snow (although it hasn't yet) and then it's damp and rainy so double trouble for the bones.

I hope you get some good sleep soon
    Stefanie
    SLE Lupus. Fibro, IBS, RA\

Matt's Brown Eyed Girl!

"I'm not broken, I'm antique; a little worn out but still beautiful if not more so because of it."

Thanks

Default Leg Pain

Hi and thanks for the reply. Its good to share the symptoms and find that somebody else shares the symptoms--not good that you suffer too. I am now having problems with my knee to add to it all--a child ran his bike into the back of my knee a little while ago-- Just what I needed LOL
    Val

Thanks

ooooo so sorry to hear it. Doesn't it always happen at the most perfect times :roll:

I usually have my problems in the same three areas my knees, back, and neck but lately just lke you i've had the below knee pain like my shin it's weird.

Try alternating between ice and a heating pad, I find that sometimes helps but my joints are so fickle they sometimes respond well to ice and other times it KILLS them and only heat will work! GRRRRRRRRR

It sucks to be sick!
    Stefanie
    SLE Lupus. Fibro, IBS, RA\

Matt's Brown Eyed Girl!

"I'm not broken, I'm antique; a little worn out but still beautiful if not more so because of it."