Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark circles under the eyes

Thanks

Default Dark circles under the eyes

I'm 35 and have been diagnosed since Feb, so I'm still getting used to all the symptoms. Recently I've been getting dark circles under my eyes like I've been up all night. Is this a symptom of the lupus or just from my being over tired. Has anyone found anything to help this?

Thanks

Default Hi, Poole

Dark circles under the eyes are pretty common in lupus, especially if you are pale-complected. Being tired can also contribute to dark circles, so can some medicines like those prescribed for high blood pressure. The skin under the eye is very thin, almost transparent, so anything that affects the veins underneath the skin can cause the look of dark or bluish circles.

If the dark circles are puffy or bruised looking, they could be "allergic shiners" caused by allergy or sinus problems. Treating the underlying problem usually makes these go away.

Dark circles under the eyes can also be an inherited trait that runs in families, so if other members of your family have them, you're likely to also.

You can minimize the effect with cold compresses on your eyes, or used tea bags chilled in the refrigerator will also work - the tannic acid constricts the blood vessels and makes the dark circles less obvious. Be careful about eye makeup remover and use something hypo-allergenic and very gentle that won't further irritate the very delicate skin under the eyes. Trying to get enough rest, and keeping your skin well-hydrated with lots of water are about the only other things you can.

There are several good brands of hypo-allergenic cosmetics that can cover both the dark circles or any lupus rash - you can often get free samples at a department store makeup counter.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Yup I agree!

I get dak circles and I wasn't sure if it was the lupus or if it was because i just can't sleep soundly because of the lupus and all my other stuff.

but I just go to the makeup stuff at shoppers and get an under eye conceler, unfourtunatly there isn't much you can do but a little makeup can go a long way and can help in lessing the look of the dark circles.

But I do find that for me it comes and goes, i will have days when i wakeup and they aren't bad at all and then there are days when I wake up and i'm like WOW Holy batman LOL .

take care
    Stefanie
    SLE Lupus. Fibro, IBS, RA\

Matt's Brown Eyed Girl!

"I'm not broken, I'm antique; a little worn out but still beautiful if not more so because of it."

Thanks

8)
    POOIE,

WE ALL HAVE THE SAME RACOON EYES !!!! WHY???

BECAUSE WE DO NOT SLEEP RIGHT.....WE TAKE THESE WEIRD MEDS....

AND SADLY WE ARE GETTING OLDER......

MY mother in law has very dark circles under her eyes and they get all puffy and she uses HEMMOROID CREAM and IT WORKS !!!!!!!!

Plus it comes from stress....even if you are sleeping normally ,but most of us do not especially if we are on prednisone.

ASk your DOC for some AMBIEN and take it for a week or so and get the sleep you so badly need.....those circles will go away in time. BUT not until you calm down and relax and get some sleep !!!!!

HOPE THIS HELPS!

STJAMES
    MY GOAL IN LIFE IS TO BE AS GOOD A PERSON AS MY DOG ALREADY THINKS I AM.....

Thanks

I do have dark circles in my eyes as well and maybe because most of us (Lupus patients) don't really sleep well and being tired all the time might be causing this too. Just try to relax and use some eye creams at night to lessen the puffiness of your eyes.
    There is nothing we can do to make God love us more and there's absolutely nothing we've done to make Him love us less... God loves us without conditions for just the way we are!

Pieces of Me!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I certainly have the dark circles under my eyes and on the bridge of my nose (where the butterfly rash once was). When I was working, my co-workers often said that they knew when I was in a Lupus flare because the dark circles under my eyes would get even darker!!!
    I've tried the cold compresses and the tea bags and the cucumbers and the concealers and, so far, nothing has worked!! The circles are darker under my left eye than my right and I hate looking at pictures of myself; I always look like I've been punched in the eye :lol:

So, as you can see, it is not uncommon for us Lupus sufferers to have to deal with racoon eyes :cry:

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

The more I read things on this board, the more I'm thinking how much it all sounds like ME... It's almost scary!

I have dark circles, I always thought it was a combo of allergies and the occasional night of not enough sleep.

One of the times I had the butterfly rash, my left eye looked like I had been punched. It wasn't really puffy, but the color was a pinkish-purple and looked just like a black eye.

I'm learning all sorts of things on here...

Thanks

I have always had dark circles under my eyes as well... Infact, my mom told friends/family that I was born tired, because I've had the bluish dark circles since birth... No one else in the family does including cousins and so on... I was tested for allergies when I was younger... most everything came came as "senitivities" rather than a true allergy. Although the few things that I was not "sensitive" to, I was allergic to.

Thanks

Default dark circles and veins

I likewise have developed dark circles and wasn't sure if it was being tired or a fun lupus side effect.
    Just yesterday, I noticed that the veins in my face are becoming more visible which is very unattractive especially along my jaw bone. Any ideas?
    I also have more hair on my face which I have been blaming on prednisone. It was sad when my boyfriend noticed my mustache ops:

Thanks

Our skin does get thinner due to the steroids. I think that's partly why our circles show so much, and also could explain the veins in your jawline. I am VERY fair, so it really stands out. What I do is (this is an old fashioned remedy but it WORKS) for puffiness, I put cold used teabags on my eyes for about 15 minutes. Then of course there's makeup. As others said, a little concealer goes a LONG way. Love, Kathy