Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Chest pains What is it!!!!!????

Thanks

Default Bad Chest pains What is it!!!!!????

Hi everyone

Last night I had to go to emerg because of really bad chest pains! I was lying in bed and all of the sudden I got this intense chest pain I thought great i'm having a heart-attack but after all the tests and everything they just told me that it was muscular and sent me home after a nice painkiller shot. I slept for the most of the day and then I had to go down and make dinner for my sister and her friends,(it's my parents anniversery today and they went out for dinner after telling my sis she could have two of her friends over for dinner. I'm not eating becuase as usual i'm nauseated) So I made buritos quick, easy and teenager friendly LOL.

But now i've got the chest pain back, It had calmed down and now it's killing me again so I poped a tyleol #3 and i'm going to lie down but it must be muscular.

The doc said that lupus can cause all kinds of inflamation so it's causing my chest wall to inflamate, not to mention i had a pneumonia a little whlie ago so the doc could see some irritation in my lungs.

Weird though i've never had that kind of pain before.

does anyone else get bad chest pains at times and worse when you move around?

thanks guys!

stefaniek
    Stefanie
    SLE Lupus. Fibro, IBS, RA\

Matt's Brown Eyed Girl!

"I'm not broken, I'm antique; a little worn out but still beautiful if not more so because of it."

Thanks

How long ago did you have the pneumonia? I am still getting over it, and I have plenty of chest pain left...alot of soreness from coughing.
    Maybe pleurisy?
    Or anxiety attacks can feel like that too. My brother gets them all the time, and says it feels like a heart attack.
    Let us know!! take care!

Thanks

Default Chest Pains

Sounds like it could be costochondritis.Its inflammation of the muscles between the ribs Its a real stabbing pain. I get mine from my breast bone up to my shoulder.. It can be VERY painful. As long as you have been checked out.
    Rest when you can.
    Val

Thanks

yes that is what the doctor is thinking that it could be costochondritis, so we'll see.
    Stefanie
    SLE Lupus. Fibro, IBS, RA\

Matt's Brown Eyed Girl!

"I'm not broken, I'm antique; a little worn out but still beautiful if not more so because of it."

Thanks

A few weeks ago I had terrible chest pains. I'm only 27 and in very good health (other than the autoimmune disease). Before it happened I had heart palpitations and wasn't able to stand or move around too much. When I finally felt better I went to rent movies with a friend. After standing for 10 minutes I had several sharp pinches in my chest and collapsed. They said I fainted twice and the pain was terrible but in the ER my EKG and chest x-ray were normal. So they sent me home...

Thanks

Betty -

Are you on prednisone? I find I get more heart palpitations when I'm taking prednisone. I remember the first heart palpitation I got - I thought I was having a heart attack! I didn't sleep a wink that night!
    Missy

Thanks

i suffer really often with chest pain. usually it's not really bad and i guess those are the cases of pleurisy (the inflammation u mentioned....). but last year and last summer i experienced the most terrible pain ever had, at the time i didn't know i had lupus and doctors thought i was perfectly healthy: anyway i had a tac and that said i was both in pneumonia and pericardithis. So, if i were you, if the pain is really bad and nothin' helps with it, i would consider some test-
    good luck

Thanks

I had inflammation around my heart and heart sac, (sorry I can't think of the word right now), but it felt like cramping and the pain would lessen if I leaned forward. The pain was just like a heart attack, (so they told me). I also slept on my right side only or sat up in a recliner and this helped also. I have had pneumonia before and for some time, (four months later), I still could feel it in my lungs when I took a deep breath. There are so many things that could cause pain with SLE, that it is important to tell your doc. Even for people that have had anxiety attacks, drs tell them that they should not rule out possibility of heart attack since the symps are so similiar. Usually weird pains, etc., turn out to be harmless but it is always better to be safe than sorry. Hope this helps you and that you feel better.

Thanks

That inflammation of the sac around the heart is pericarditis. It's very scary, and can easily be confused for a heart attack. I've been hospitalized for this many times in the past 9 months. The ER docs (and my rheumatologist) really recommend that I go to the hospital when I have the symptoms. Interestingly, though, a cardiologist told me that if I recognized the symptoms as pericarditis I could probably take care of it with a phone call to my rheumatologist to adjust my prednisone. He said I would only have to go into the ER for pain management. I thought that advice was a little strange coming from a cardiologist.
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

mnjodette and all-
    I too suffer from the chest pain. Mostly pericarditis, at least 8 episodes over the last 1 1/2 year. I too, just call my rheum. now and adjust my prednisone, unless something is very different. The ER docs never find anything, I have to tell them. Lately I am wondering about costochondritis- I have a hard time sleeping at night, my upper back between my shoulder blades ache and are sore. My sides of my ribs also. I feel like I pulled muscles from chopping wood or something!
    could this be the feeling of costochondritis? Are there meds for this?
    Kimb