Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow--a story I must share.

Thanks

Default Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow--a story I must share.

Yesterday, my sweet stepdaughter drove 5 hours from Dallas to cut my hair for me. I've been her stepmom for 11 years now, and she is so very dear to me. She works for Tony and Guy salons as an instructor, so she really knows her stuff when it comes to hair. (Tony and Guy is VERY chi-chi...a haircut from her would be about $150.00!)
    Because I'd lost so much hair during this last bad flare (going on a month now) my head looked just plain wierd. BIG bald places everywhere and very, very thin hair everywhere else. I had told my husband I was going to shave it and wear scarves until it grew back. This was NOT an easy decision, folks, believe you me. My hair was very fine, but I had a ton of it and it was so shiny and silky...I cried many, many tears. I do believe my husband cried as much as I did. I just couldn't bear watching it fall out more and more each day.
    Anyway, I'm fresh out of the hospital and we had planned to go to a stylist shop as soon as I was a little stronger. My darling husband called his wonderful daughter, who drove in from out of state as a suprise to me yesterday. It would have been very traumatic to do this with a regular stylist, but Dawn was so sweet and gentle. She sat me in the shade of our magnolia and went to work, hugging and patting and comforting during the snip, snip, buzz, shave. It was a beautiful fall day...a tiny chill in the air, the wind in the leaves, the dogs playing. SO nice to be outside after so long in that hospital room! Hubby had a little fire going and we were drinking warm spiced cider. In my fleecy pj's and slippers, I felt so pampered!
    She shaved the entire crown of my head, which was almost all bald anyway, then left about two inch "fringe" pieces around the perimeter...little deep red feathery points that frame my face. When we put the scarf on, my husband burst into tears, because he said, "You're still so beautiful, Kathy!" (we were all crying quite a bit by then.) We went inside and experimented with a few more scarves, ways to tie them..oh, and I have some cute berets and hats that look adorable this way too. You cannot even tell that I have lost my hair!
    She showed my husband how to continue to shave the crown until it all starts growing back. When It does grow back, she promises to come and transition cut my hair until it's all long again. I knew she loved me, but I didn't know how MUCH she loved me! I know this was long and I deeply apologize, but wow do I feel free now. What could have been awful was instead deeply loving and wonderful. Thank you for listening!

Thanks

Sorry, hit post too soon ops:
    Forgot to add, as we watched the breeze blowing my hair, some cardinals that live in our back yard started picking up the pieces of my hair and flying off with them. Guess they'll have red-headed nests!!!

Thanks

Default Thanks for Sharing

That's a great day brightener for me, Kathy. Thanks so much for sharing. You told it so well, I could just picture it all. You're an inspiration. God bless you, and I'm so glad you're home!
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Littlered, I lost most of my hair between the lupus and the chemo. The good news is it does grow back, in my case, very thick and curly, which is strange because it was poker straight before, and I wore it in long braids. My mom was half-indian so I have very dark skin and eyes, my brother describes my new curly look as pocahontas wearing an orphan annie wig! I know it's hard to cope with, but your new do sound adorable - think of it as a good excuse to invest in some great hats! Your stepdaughter is very sweet - it sounds like you're in great hands. And I know you are happy to finally be home!

Thanks

Ah, home IS wonderful! We did something very special for the nurses station. We have several Hawaiian Lei trees in our back yard. They are huge and beautiful trees, practically indestructable, yet do not need a lot of sunlight. In spring and summer, gentle breezes send showers of white lei flowers. Anyway, you can cut branches from these trees, sit them in water for a week, then put them in a large pot. They'll root and grow to fit the pot. My husband fixed them up a large one, which they sat behind the big desk. It's so pretty now, and will be so lovely when it blooms.

I am having a hard time making myself take it easy now that I'm home. I know, I know, I MUST! My freezer is full of meals that we defrost and eat, because I still cook like a girl from a family of 7 kids! So meals are no problem...and am I ever chowing down!

Still not smoking and I don't really miss it. I'm sucking cinnamon toothpicks. I have another workshop to do next week and am getting ready for that, little by little (10-15 minutes at a time)

And Marisol (the expectant bull terrier) is getting so hugely pregnant, that big old white belly swaying to and fro as she struts her stuff. It's so funny and cute.

Thanks

Are bull terriers good with kids? I don't know much about dogs - the ones we had when I was growing up were working dogs - not pets. The boys are getting old enough for a dog, but it has to be a sturdy breed that's easy going with kids. I'm a little leery of some dog breeds - my best friend's little girl had her leg ripped to the bone by their chow even though they'd had it since it was a puppy. Whatever we get will definitely be a pound puppy - I'm just afraid I'll fall in love with them all and want to take them home. The first time I went to the shelter to get a kitten, I ended up with a very cranky older cat whose owner had died and who was about to be euthanized, so I had to rescue him. He lived with us for several years and became a very loving pet, so it worked out well for both of us.

Thanks

That's a VERY inspiring story!
    Very moving, especially the part of the birds using your hair as nesting material., as if your hair still lives on being useful

stardust
    An eye for an eye only makes for a very blind world.

Thanks

Bull Terriers are VERY good with kids, as long as the kids understand that they won't tolerate unneccessary roughness. When puppies, they tend to be a bit "nippy" as a way of getting attention. Doesn't hurt, but it's a habit you will want to break quickly. One of the reasons they are so great with kids is their energy. They wll play wrestle, fetch, run, etc. for hours on end! It takes extra patience to train them, but ours know how to sit, shake, sit up, lie down, roll over, and dance. you can get them to do virtually ANYthing with FOOD!
    Our 2 bull terriers have very different temparaments. Novio, our male, is a big goofy Frat boy. His favorite "trick" is to go get a big drink of water, then walk up to you, tail wagging as though to say "hello" and then burping in your face--LOUDLY! His other end can emit sounds that you woudn't believe. He steals drinks out of my husbands beer. Sweet, sturdy, goofy, stubborn...he even snores. No wonder he and my husband are best freinds,
    Marisol, our expectant mama, is like night and day comparing those two.
    She very much considers herself a lad and is picky about her food, (Kinda
    irritates me when I hand her a ham hock bne and she looks at me like, "s this ok to eat? are ou SURE?"She is everyone's Mommy. We have a tiny Boston Terrier who she pins down with one huge paw so she dn give him his daily "bath." The ndignant look on his face is priceless!
    If your kids are older than I'd say five, and have a good handle on how to treat dogs, these are a perfect choice.

Thanks

The twins will be 11 in February, my middle son is 8 1/2, youngest is 6 1/2 - all boys but very used to younger children and small animals so they know how to be gentle. We have two indoor cats, and they have had hamsters, guineas etc. but I wanted to put off a dog until they were all old enough to help take care of it. What they really want is a baby sister, but I don't think that's an option, so they will have to settle for a girl puppy.

Your "babies"sound adorable - I think it's so sweet when the older animals adopt a younger one - it's amazing how the nurturing instinct can transcend species.

I am very glad you're feeling better, but don't overdo things because you're so glad to be home. Take it easy for a while!

Thanks

Feeling ok today, but coughing my head off. I'm using the pillow...guess my body's trying to rid itself of the last of the pneumonia. My insides feel black and blue! If my outsides start to match, I'm gonna wonder about my ribs...
    I have to stay on the solumedrol for another 3 days, then back down to 20 mg Prednisone. I sure will be glad to say goodbye to the Solumedrol. I never experimented with "speed" but I feel like I'm taking it! Lousy, too, because I am supposed to be resting, and indeed, must rest. I just see so much that needs doing and get exasperated! I'll be off in another 10 minutes to take a nap that I promised my husband I'd take.

Slumber party for 10 here on Saturday for my birthday. Mostly teachers and staff that work for my husband, all nice people. My best friend is doing *all* the work. All are wearing pj's and bringing pictures, diaries, memories and movies of when they were 15. (15 going on 50 is the theme.) The menu she has planned is hilarious: wienie roast, smores, marshmallow treats, chips and onion dip, caramel apples. all that junk we ate at 15. To imbibe, Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill and spiced cider. I, of course, will stick with the cider. We have chick flicks and are fielding ideas of apropos activities. Truth or Dare, anyone? Scavenger Hunt? We would TP a house but we are afraid we'd get caught and the headlines would read, "Local Teachers arrested in Pajamas while vandalizing House with Toilet Paper."

IDEAS, ANYONE???