Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: owwwwwie

Thanks

Default owwwwwie

Today was my annual statewide group picnic, which I'm in charge of.
    I had to get up at 8am, which is only a few hours after I normally go to bed.
    I had to set-up, decorate, all in the freezing cold.
    On 4 hours of sleep.
    I played my drum in a drum circle for over an hour.
    outside.
    (in the sun)
    This after a week of preparing, baking, making gift baskets, etc.
    Then I had to take-down, clean-up, haul all the supplies back home, and now I am seriously feeling the pain here.
    I didn't really have too much trouble afterwards, aside from fatigue last year, but this year...owwwwwie.
    I crawled into a warm tub and took inventory...
    Already, I've got a rash started on my legs, my kneecaps are swollen, my fingers are like snausages.
    My palms are peeling, I have broken blood vessels in my thumbs and wrists, one in my upper arm, and my entire body is one giant knot.
    My lower back is killing me.
    There is not one part of me that isn't sore, (I think my hair even hurts) and I also have bruised feet.
    I'm not sure I can get up from this chair now.
    I may have to just let myself flop onto the floor, and then roll down the hall to bed.
    LOL
    Anyway, I just need to vent my angst...this is stinkaroo.
    One day of fun, and I think I'll be paying for it still a month from now.
    I think I'll be in bed for the next few days.
    And I'll need to use my cane again for awhile.
    Phooey.

:roll:

Off to take one majorly serious power nap.
    Ita erat quando hic adveni

Thanks

{{HUGS}}

Oh sweetie, I feel so bad for you!

Keep those warm baths coming, add some turmeric and ground flax to your diet each day for a bit, and REST. You've earned it.

If you haven't already, invest in a large brimmed HAT, and LOTS of sunscreen. Nxt year, when the picnic is even better, arrange that drum circle in the shade of a lovely tree. And keep the hat on...

Hugs, and I hope this passes more quickly than you expect.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hello Sapphirrasmagick :lol:
    I hope I am not disturbing your much needed (and well deserved) power nap. Your story is SOOOO familiar, probably to almost everyone of us. Hatlady gave you some great suggestions and I only have one to add...delegate my dear, delegate!!!!
    Find some nice young, strong eager kids to help you with the heavy work if you can. Do not try to do everything yourself because, as you have learned, you have to do some serious recuperation afterwards!!
    Also, pace yourself (if that is at all possible given your time constraints).
    Until then, keep resting and then rest some more. Give your body lots of time to recuperate and to ward off exacerbating this "flare".

I am sending you warm hugs, a wonderful body massage, a warm blanket to wrap up in, and many restful days!!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Turmeric and ground flax, eh?
    I have both in my kitchen somewhere, but didn't know they were helpful for Lupus flares...maybe I'll make a nice curry for dinner and then have a fruit smoothie w/ flax for dessert.
    That sounds really yummy anyway.

I just woke up...not as bad as I thought it'd be, thank goodness.
    I slept quite a long time, under 5 blankets and finally got warmed up, which I think helped my muscle aches alot.
    I still feel like I got hit by a truck, but now it's more like a little pickup truck as opposed to a giant semi truck.
    I took some ibuprofen, which will hopefully kick in soon...my head feels a little funny and achy right now, and I think I might be running a fever.
    And for some odd reason, each and every one of my toes hurts.
    LOL

My lungs are also feeling a little sore, but that could just be from all the wood smoke.

Next year I am definitely going to have to delegate more...I am stubborn and have a hard time accepting the idea that I can't do as much as I used to, because I want to do everything, I used to be able to do everything and I don't like asking for help.
    Something I really need to work on.

:morning:

Thanks

Ita erat quando hic adveni - it was that way when I got here? Okay, I'm totally intrigued, you've got to share the story behind that one!

Seriously, glad you are feeling better - if you have some arnica gel, it does wonders for bruising and sore muscles - I use so much, I should invest in the stuff. Next time, maybe have the drum circle in a nice shady grove? If you don't mind my asking, what type of drum circle were you having, medicine circle, shaman, wiccan. or just for fun?

I hope your ibuprofen is kicking in by now. If not, hang your NOLI PERTURBARE sign on the door and go back to bed!

Thanks

Hey, you're the first person to ever know what my signature means and ask me about it! Cool.
    There's not really a story...it's just a general, pre-emptive warning label that I really ought to sew onto my clothes.
    If something goes awry, it was totally like that when I got here. I had nothing to do with it.
    (When you're a klutz and can't function in the morning without large amounts of hot caffeine, it's a handy thing to be able to say.)

I don't mind your asking me about the drum circle at all...
    The drum circle we had wasn't specific to any one path and wasn't ritual in nature...it was mainly for fun.
    If anything else, maybe just to celebrate the beauty of Autumn and the changing of seasons and being alive and together.
    It was made up entirely of Pagans and Wiccans and did end up being a really amazing and spiritual experience, but we all went into it just as people who really enjoy making some noise and jamming on our instruments.
    (I play the zarb...it's a big metal drum with alot of bass.)
    We had all kinds of percussion, and some of the women sang and one danced.
    I'm really hoping to be able to get a local drum circle started that meets regularly, maybe once a month.
    It's hard to explain what it's like, but if you've ever been in a drum circle, you'll know what I mean...it sounds cheezy but, you get to that point after awhile where everyone is in the same space, and the rhythm is just perfect and there isn't any thought except for the music you're making, and it's almost surreal, like you're not even in your body at that moment...everything just flows and it's so freeing.
    I think that's what I like so much about drumming.
    It's one time can I feel completely and perfectly healthy, and don't feel any aches and pains or worries.
    Well...I guess the other time is when I'm sleeping, and I like that a whole bunch, too.

Anyway, I guess I kinda started rambling on there...heh, sorry about that...don't ask me about drumming unless you have some free time, I guess. I'm obviously quite enthusiastic about it.

:lol:

Thanks

I guess I was amused because it sounds a lot like what my kids say when I find them in the middle of a mess, "but, mom, it was that way when I got here" - it sounds a lot more impressive in latin!

I'm not a drummer, other than the bodhran, but I have seen a zarb - it looks a lot like a doumbek - is it played the same way? I play a lot of celtic music, but my instrument of choice is the hammered dulcimer, which is technically stringed rather than percussion although it is played with hammers that are similar to beaters. Like drumming, it puts a lot of stress on the wrists and hands, so it's hard with the lupus.

I have participated in some medicine circles with friends on the shaman path, mostly for healing. It is an amazing experience - the drum is like the heartbeat of the world, it's easy to get lost in it. Several friends in my celtic group are wiccans, I assume they all walk the right-hand path, but as you certainly know, it's a much misunderstood religion, particularly in some parts of the country, so most wiccans in this area practice their beliefs privately. It's kind of a shame because I think people would be more accepting of wicca if they knew more about it, but I certainly understand why they chose not to be open.

I am glad you had such a special day - hope you bounce back quickly from the sun exposure. Unfortunately for lupies, the song is wrong - it is possible to have too much fun!

Thanks

Hi Sapphire,

Sounds like a successful event....now for your successful recovery :lol:

I don't know if you can because of meds or not; but epsom salt baths twice a day do it for me. I had been an executive /corporate events planner....and I know exactly how you feel afterwards.....kind of like you were ran over by a semi-truck, and rolled all the way across town; and when you got up you felt like king-kong picked you up and threw you down???? Yep, I've been there.

Take lots of warm baths, drink lots and lots of water....and rest, rest, rest!!

I hope you recover soon; and when you can laugh out loud; it's great exercise for your lungs. I know it works for me.

Wishing you the best.

Much love,
    Browneyedgirl
    "I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." - unknown

Thanks

Wow!

I'm impressed you guys are so musical. I scare my dog and children if I sing in the shower! I hope you feel better soon. Be kind to yourself. As women we invest so much time in doing for others sometimes we put ourselves last. I perhaps shouldn't preach - I do the same thing frequantly

Thanks

Yep, the zarb is very similar to the doumbek, although it's larger and the neck isn't as narrow or tapered.
    Mine has a 12" FiberSkyn head...you can play it different ways...some people like to tuck that type of drum under one arm, and use a beater, but when I play I tuck the neck between my legs so the drum is resting on my lap, and then I play with both hands.
    I get the most bass that way, and it's the most comfortable for me, although you're right, it is hard on the wrists and hands.
    Totally worth it, though, and sometimes I think in the long run it can only help...a use it or lose it mentality, maybe?
    Work those achy puppies!

You're right about Wicca being mis-understood...that's true of Paganism in general and many other non-mainstream paths, unfortunately, but I think we're making progress and most people that I've met have been receptive, interested in learning more, and very polite about the subject if it comes up...I'm very fortunate to live in a place where religious tolerance is more the norm than intolerance...however, if I feel like someone won't understand or will give me a hard time and they press it, I always tell them I am spiritual but not religious and leave it there.
    Wiccans have an even harder time I think because of tv shows like Charmed, that portray Wicca in a negative and unrealistic way...it's very difficult to get your religion taken seriously when so many people see that on television and think you're some kind of weenie who believes you can throw fireballs and all that stuff.
    Belief is a very personal thing, and I think the most important thing isn't your chosen religion, but what kind of person you want to be and whether or not you try to make the world a little bit of a better place than it was before you got there.

Browneyedgirl, doesn't the salt in the bath dry you out?
    My skin is so dry right now...I've even tried bathing in olive oil and putting on super moisturizing lotions, but my skin just can't seem to get hydrated.
    I'm trying to drink enough water, and I've been really thirsty, too, but it seems like the only thing I'm accomplishing is increasing the number of times I have to pee in a day. LOL
    :P

hee hee...hooversmom, I said I played the zarb.
    I never ever said I played it well.