Thread: winrho

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default winrho

Has anyone out there taken the drug Winrho for low platelets? Rheumy sent me to the hemotoligist, and this is the drug he suggested. It is administered by infusion that lasts 30 minutes. It is confusing, because it seems to be a pediatric drug.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

WinRho SDF Immune Globulin Intravenous (Human)] is a purified human immunoglobulin used to treat immune thrombocytopenic purpura or ITP. The exact mechanism of action of WinRhoŽ SDF is not completely known. ITP (immune thrombocytopenic purpura) is an autoimmune disease in which patients make antibodies against platelets. Antibody-coated platelets are thus marked for rapid uptake and destruction by macrophages of the reticuloendothelial system via Fc receptors. It is believed that WinRhoŽ
    SDF 's primary mechanism of action is "Fc-receptor blockade." WinRhoŽ SDF is a hyperimmune serum with a relatively high percentage of antibodies to the "D" marker on red blood cells. The anti-D antibodies in WinRhoŽ SDF bind to red blood cells. This complex blocks Fc receptors, thus sparing antibody-coated platelets.

Here is a website with warnings and precautions about WinRho SDF:
    http://www.docguide.com/news/content.nsf/news

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Thanks for the info on Winrho. I have read a few of the articles on the website link. I know drug companies have to give you all the information about side effects, but I found these alarming, even though they were stated to be "rare". I guess it is also dangerous to have platelets that keep going in a downward spiral all the time. My platelets are going down again, and I might miss my vacation to Las Vegas and then to see my son in AZ. I am having a really hard time coping with this possibility, and I know I will be very sad if I miss it. This would be the third trip in a year I had to cancel; the trip insurance is worth it. I am grateful there are drugs to deal with lupus, but sometimes these drugs are really hard to take.