Thread: Exercise and lupus

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Exercise and lupus

I've quit smoking for almost two years now

Altho this is almost singularly the best thing that ever happened to me
    It resulted in me picking up 10 kilos.

Anyone have any idea as to how i can bring the flab down?
    I intend to live forever, so far so good

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Although rest is important in managing the fatigue of Lupus, too much rest can be harmful to our muscles, bones, joints, and overall fitness. Keeping fit through an exercise program, helps us to feel better, both mentally and physically. There are many types of exercises that are appropriate for lupus patients, such as swimming and walking. Yoga and Pilates are also good programs for patients with Lupus.
    There are many factors which are involved in determining how often you should exercise & what exercises you should do. The best advice is to consult your physician, plan a program, start slowly and stick with it!
    In "Lauri's Lounge", there is a thread started by Tracy Dawn entitled "Exercise". There, you will find several suggestions by members about low-impact exercises that might be helpful!!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default Ah yes, weight!

I stopped smoking and gained a lot of weight too. I'm always so tired from lupus that I don't feel like doing any exercise at all. You can take it slow and start with a diet regiman, just stop eating two things for two weeks, then add in another high calorie food to stop eating, etc. I too highly recommend Pilates. It's great because you can get your heart rate up, stretch your muscles and just think, you're lying on your back the whole time! It's my exercise of choice, especially when I'm very tired. It feels great to stretch my muscles slowly. By the way I stopped smoking the day I found out I was pregnant with my first. It was torture! I lived on ice cream and salmon through my whole pregnancy and gained 90 pounds. Cheerio to that!!