Thread: Question about plaquenil helping fatigue but not the pain

Thanks

Default Question about plaquenil helping fatigue but not the pain

I am suspected of having lupus SLE and many other things have already been ruled out. I am on relafen and plaquenil for about a month now. My fatigue is greatly diminished but my pain isn't significantly different. Does the plaquenil help both the fatigue and pain? Can it help one before the other?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hello Milagro
    Plaquenil is a drug in the class of Hydroxychloroquine. Hydroxychloroquine is a one of a number of drugs which have been used for many years in the treatment of malaria. Fortunately, it was discovered these drugs often are helpful in the treatment of various rheumatic diseases, particularly systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE or "Lupus") and rheumatoid arthritis. However, these drugs are not painkillers. Plaquenil decreases the damage to the tissues of the joints, skin and other organs in the body. It takes between 8 to 12 weeks for Lupus to respond to Plaquenil. Generally, doctors will prescribe other medications when you start Plaquenil so that you will improve more quickly.
    Plaquenil is very effective in the treatment of a whole variety of lupus skin rashes, particularly those found to be worsened by sunlight and it is effective in treating skin lesions and mouth ulcers. Thus it is widely used as first choice (or ‘first line’) treatment in lupus. As well as helping the skin itself, it is often helpful in treating hair loss in lupus.
    It helps musclejoint pain sometimes for those whose symptoms are mild, though in cases where symptoms are more severe, its effects may be too mild. However, One of the most successful uses for plaquenil is in fatigue, many patients showing improvement after several weeks’ treatment.
    I would not say that it helps one before the other, especially since it needs to build up in your system for several weeks before you will see results. Also, how much it helps depends largely upon the severity of your symptoms.
    I hope that this has been helpful and that I've answered your questions. Please let me know if you need anything further.
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default Yes, you've been very helpful.

Thank you for the info. This is a whole new world for me.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I know and I understand. We are here to help you navigate through this whole new world. Please feel free to ask any question that you may have, we will always do our very best to provide you with answers, information, support and comfort!!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie