Thread: A true example of forgiveness

Thanks

Default A true example of forgiveness

I was moved to read in today's newpapers that the leaders of the Amish community where the terrible school shooting took place have insisted that some of the charitible donations they have received be put in a fund for the wife and children of the shooter who killed the girls, saying they are victims as much as anyone. I know the Bible teaches us to return good for evil, but it seems so few people practice what they preach. I think it shows the strength of the Amish people that in the middle of their own tragedy, they could reach out in love and forgiveness to this other family. Maybe it's a good life lesson for all of us.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I absolutely agree. Especially since the wife of the defendant had asked that everyone pray for the Amish families who lost their children. The Amish community is right in their estimation that his wife and children are also victims and will be stigmatized by the act of their husband/father for the rest of their lives; an act that they had nothing to do with.
    Forgiveness is so much more for the forgiver than for the forgiven. It frees you from hatred, anger and resentment. These emotions do more harm to the person experiencing them than to the person for whom one holds them against. Forgiveness, to me, prevents these harmful emotions from causing havoc on our mental well-being. Feelings of hatred and ill-will leave a lasting effect on our mind and our spirit.
    Even in the midst of such tragedy, it is comforting to know that there are still those who hold to the doctrine of forgivness. It is part of what will help them to heal.
    I pray for all of the families who lost their children, I have some understanding of their grief. I also pray for the defendant's family to give them strength for what they will have to endure.

Saysusie

Thanks

What a wonderful story that is - it does show us that some people, even in extreme grief, can realize forgiveness - AND that the family of the shooter is truly a victim as well.

What a horrible tragedy for every person, every family.