Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Menstruation and lupus

Thanks

Default Menstruation and lupus

Hi everyone :lol: :
    Exam is coming and i seriously hope i won't suffer another case of bad nerves- made my mom sick with fear whenever she see me stress.
    Anyway, I have a question to ask. Ever since I started on prednisolone, my menstruation stop. According to my doctor, my SLE is apparently suppressing it :shock: (?) it. Recently, it's back but after I wash my hair, it stop again. According to my mom's friend who also has SLE, lupus patients have their menstruation for 3 days which will stop once we wash our hair!!
    Now, I have never heard a stranger rumour- Is anyone able to confirm this? Pls: I have some doubt about my doctor's word too...how does the immune system suppress your period??????

Juke of the box :P

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Jukebox; You may be having symptoms of perimenopause. This can begin up to 10 years before the end of your periods. Having SLE compounds the possibility as the disease is associated with an earlier menopause. It is also associated with some of the symptoms of perimenpause. In most cases of LUPUS patients, your medication is thought to be the culprit for early menopause. Many of the immunosuppressants used in LUPUS treatment can induce early menopause.
    I do not know how old you are, but you should also consider having your thyroid tested..discuss this with your doctor when you see him/her. The good news about early menopause and LUPUS is that people claim that they suffer from less frequent flare-ups when they reach menopause.
    About the hair washing.....that is SOOOOOOO funny When I was a child and first started menstruating, my grandmother would always tell me to never wash my hair when I was on my period! A lot of the old tales that we get from our ancestors had to come from somewhere, didn't they? It seems that you are a living example that that old tale is true!!! I do not have any clue what the relationship is between hair washing and menstruation. But, yes, I have heard of the "old wive's tale" for many, many years. It was never true for me, however!!
    :P
    Best Of Luck
    Saysusie

Thanks

Dear Saysusie,
    Thanks for the information, but I don't think the possibility of me getting perimenopause is high, considering the fact that I have barely reached my 20th birthday!!!

Juke of the Box

Thanks

Default Thyroid and SLE

How does one know whether thay should have a thyroid test or not? I also have really painful flareswhen menstruating!Yikes!!
    Soreangel

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Soreangel
    Your thyroid is the biggest gland in the neck and is located in the front of the neck and is shaped like a butterfly. The function of the thyroid is to make thyroid hormone that regualtes the body's metobolism. There are several common problems connected with the thyroid that can be easily treated: Problems dealing with too much or too little hormones - An increased growth of thryroid causing compression of important neck structures and/or appearing as a mass in the neck - the formation of nodules or lumps in the thyroid area which may signal thyroid cancer (most are benign).
    If you feel any growth in the butterfly area where the thyroid is located, advise your doctor. X-rays and ultrasounds can usually detect if there is a problem with your thyroid!
    I hope that I have been helpful. If you need more information, please let me know!!
    Saysusie

Thanks

HI, I too have Lupus SLE and ever since I was diagnosed about two years ago I ahve noticed that my cycle is doing the same as yours. Normally mine always ran about five days since I had my tubal after my two children. Do you think I should talk about this with my doctor or is this just normal for lupus patients?

Thanks

Bieng on steroids can suppress your period. A friend of mine had to be on them for 3 years--after 1 year her peroids stopped and she was amenorheic(no menstruation) for the next 2 years--when she got off teh steroids her periods came back--within the first 6 months--I think this may be happenning with you--lupus most likely wouldn't suppress your peroid unless you have autoimmune thyroid dz(hyper of hypo)-have your doc get your TSH levels. best of luck!

Thanks

Hi I am sorry to hear of your problems with menstrations.

I was wondering if anyone has had a absent period while on methotrexate. I recently started taking Methotrexate along with plaquenil and prednisone. My doctor told me that it wasn't the methotrexate and told me to make a appointment with my OB/GYN. I have always been regular and am not pregnant. The only thing that has changed is the med. It would be nice to know that I am not crazy and alone.

Kitty

Thanks

Default Seasonale & Perimenopause

I have had mild SLE for 29 years (diagnosed at 15, now 44). My gyn prescribed Seasonale b/c of my PMS symptoms and to mask perimenopause symptoms. I took the first three months and all of my PMS symptoms disappeared (anxiety, mood swings particiularly). I decided to stop it until I had more $ after my dog's surgery and it was a huge mistake. The first week after my last period I started having major perimenopause symptoms - most notably about 4 hot flashes an hour and night sweats, mood swings and joint pain. My joint pain has not subsided since I stopped the birth control. As soon as I have another period (I've skipped one, hope I start this month), I'm going back on Seasonale. There may be weight gain, but that's also attributable to perimenopause, particularly around waist and hips. Seasonale stopped my perimenopause symptoms. I hadn't had any joint pain for a long time until now.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

This is a reply for Kitty:
    Yes, it has been found that temporary or permanent menopause or amenorreah (missed periods) are a consequence of women treated with chemotherapy medications (such as methotrexate and cyclophosphamide therapy).
    Scientists are not certain what role hormones play in Systemic Lupus, but there does seem to be an obvious correlation. Because hormonal changes are evident in SLE, it stands to reason that the menstrual cycle can be affected in some women with SLE.
    About 15% of women with SLE develop menorrhagia (excessive blood flow during menstrual periods) which may be due to clotting problems. Some lupus patients may also experience amenorrhea (lack of menstrual periods). Early menopause has also been noted in women with lupus.
    It has been estimated that the symptoms of menopause (mood swings, hot flashes, night sweats, irregular and/or unusual periods) actually begin some 3 to 5 years before the woman is pronounced as being in the process of menopause. Each of these conditions can be a direct result of Systemic Lupus, or a side effect of steroid therapy.
    So, it would seem that, with the methotrexate and the hormonal changes brought about by lupus, menstrual abnormalities are likely with SLE.
    So, you are not alone
    :cry:
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie