Thread: If you have elderly parents

Thanks

Default If you have elderly parents

as many of us do, and you can't check on them as much as you'd like to, you might want to contact the post office in their area to find out if there is a carrier alert program offered thru the post office. This is a program available in many areas sponsered by the national association of letter carriers in conjunction with volunteer agencies like United way. If there is a program, you can fill out a registration form with emergency contact information, and you get a special sticker to put on the mail box to alert all the mail carriers that an elderly or disabled person lives there. The Post Office will then pay special attention to that address. The mail carrier checks every day (except Sunday) and if they notice anything wrong or unusual, mail not picked up, dog barking or whining, curtains shut when they are usually open, etc., they will check on the person and get help if needed, including contacting the family or friend listed on the emergency contact registration. A lot of mail carriers will take this one step further and physically bring the mail into the house every day, or knock on the door to check on the person daily. It's a free program, and the mail carriers take it seriously. Especially with cold weather coming on in a lot of places, it's just a extra safety measure you can take for your parents, or any elderly or disabled friend or relative. Our local United Way is running a PSA this week, so I thought about posting the info on the forum too.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Marycain;
    I do have an elderly parent who lives alone and has diabetes. I try to call her often, but cannot (as you said) physically check on her as often as I'd like to.
    Your information was excellent and I am going to do just that tomorrow (Monday). I had never even thought of anything being available such as this. Thank you SOOOOOO Much for the information!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

My dad's 86 and very independent - too proud to use a walker, so I worry about him falling or getting hurt.

Another thing we did was get an emergency connect telephone that has a remote access button he wears on a wristband - if he needs to he can press the button and the phone automatically dials up to six pre-programmed numbers like 911, our numbers, etc. -when the phone is answered, it plays an emergency message. Kind of like a life alert, except no monthly fees or service - you just buy the phone. There are a lot of different brands available with a range of features like amplification, speakerphone, etc. - I think they're great for any disabled person to have - I have this on my own phone.

Thanks

Fabulous idea MaryCain, thanks!

I'm lucky, my mother is in an "Independent living" building, she gets a bit of attention helping her pull together her meds (parkinsons), and has her meals, but is other wise on her own. Like SaySusie's and yours, she's proud and WANTS to be more independent than she probalby should be. They're wonderful to her there - if she misses a meal someone shows up at her door.

Thanks

My parents are in their 80's...what I ever did to recieve God's blessing with these two, i will never ever know. They are truly from the "greatest generation"...grew up in the Dust Bowl during the Depression, fell in love and married before World War II, Dad was a tail gunner, got shot down over Germany and spent the last year and a half in a German P.O.W. camp. My mother never DOUBTED that he was alive. He came back weighing 113 lbs! (He is 6 foot 1) so they almost starved him to death.
    Anyhow, he went to college, they raised 7 kids (A minister, a legal professional, 2 computer analysts, a teacher, a homebuilder, and a hospital adminstrator!) Now they are retired on a small farm (my dad's lifetime dream) and are STILL madly in love...after over 60 years of marriage. I can tell when my dad looks at my mom, he still sees the girl he married. They just don't make em like that anymore.
    They are so frail, but so very proud and fiesty. We kids got together and hired someone to clean for them once a week, but the only time they can stand it is to have the person come Sunday while they are in church!
    Love, love, LOVE them so!!

Thanks

Your folks sound a lot like mine - we lost my mom ten years ago but I still miss her everyday. She was 15 when she married my dad, and dirt-poor - my Dad was 19, but they had a wonderful marriage and raised 10 kids -seven boys, three girls. They wanted an even dozen but had two still born. I look at my own four and wonder how my mom kept her sanity with seven boys. It's a little confusing in my family because it's so big - there's a big age gap between the oldest and youngest - my oldest sister and brother have adult children (my nieces and nephews) who are older than I am, and their grandchildren are older than my children. So it gets a little confusing at family get togetgers.

Thanks

Wasn't it FUN growing up in a big family? I know it was for me. Yes, we wore plenty of hand me downs, and did without a lot of things we wanted, but never did without what we needed.
    Dinnertime at our family table, with 7 kids, was like feeding time at the zoo! Everybody talking at once, lots of inside-joke good natured teasing, and of course, NO meal was complete until at least one of us spilled our glass of milk!
    I was never lonely because I always had playmates...though we fought like crazy sometimes. If anybody ELSE ever picked on one of us, heaven help them. The downside of having brothers, though, was that anytime I liked a boy, they'd say, "Aw, no, you can't date HIM!"
    We are scattered to the winds now, but still manage to all get together once a year. We all go out to dinner, and our table is the loudest, most raucous table in the restaurant. I don't know how my parents stood raising 7 kids. I raised two, and it almost did me in!