Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fall

Thanks

Default Fall

I know for most people with lupus the weather change is not a good thing. But i know there are a few of you out there like myself who love the change and it makes it easier to do things. Seeing as your not melting anymore. I have done more in the few weeks then I did ALL summer, just because I could be outside for longer than 20 mintues or I would feel about dead. Can't wait for the leave to change color and getting to go to the pumkin patch! with the girls of course, they are going to really enjoy themselves. Anyway I just wanted to share all the fall goodness with everyone else. Hope the mood catches.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Having lived with Lupus for over 20yrs..I have come to love overcast and rainy days. You know, those days just before the weather turns cold. It is a bit cool...no sun...no excrutiating heat. These are the days when I feel my best and can get so much more done. I love to put on my hat and my coat and go out in the rain to do my chores and run my errands.
    So, being a Lupie...I live for the fall and the winter!!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

I love fall, apples and pumpkins and gourds are "a few of my favorite things" - and it's one of the few times of year I can enjoy outdoor activities with my kids. I just wish it lasted longer, once the cold weather starts, it triggers my asthma and my reynauds, so it's back to indoor living again.

The boys love making popcorn balls in the fall - it turns the kitchen into a sticky mess, but they have so much fun, it's worth it. They also love to go to the local orchard and get fresh apple cider slushies and cider doughnuts. The orchard is huge -they have a corn maze and hay bale fortress for the kids to play in, plus lots of goats, sheep, puppies, kittens and a couple of alpacas - with four boys, it's a lot cheaper than amusement parks! We get some small pumpkins for carving and save the seeds for roasting. Yum!

Thanks

Ever made pumpkin soup?? Ohhh, it's wonderful. And a great source of Vitamin A!

Cut the pumpkin into chunks and peel the skin. Toss in a small amount of olive oil and roast in a 375 degree oven til tender. Puree in a blender or in food processor. Use a bit of heavy cream if needed to get it going.

In a non-stick skillet, melt about 2 tbsp butter. Add the same amount of flour and stir til the flour is brown and nutty smelling. Add 2 cups of cream (yes, the real deal, as the taste is SOO worth it) along with a teaspoon of nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir in the pumpkin puree and simmer until it is the consistency you want.

I make this every fall. I even toast the pumpkin seeds and put on top for garnish. Yeh, I'm a COOK! 8)

Thanks

Yum yum yum. I just love pumpkin soup littlered and I am going to try your recipe. I have just gone gluten free so will have to improvise with the flour though. I could just live on soup and salads. That's one of the best things about fall making homemade soups with all those fresh garden vegetables.

Please post any of your favorite soup or stew recipes and I for one promise to try them.

Your friend in love of pumpkin.....beautifulbeluga

Thanks

It sounds wonderful - unfortunately, I've never found a good vegan alternative to heavy cream - I use whipped almond milk in some recipes - it might go well with pumpkin. Thanks - you've given me something to experiment with!

Thanks

Default beautifulbeluga -

The Celiac Sprue Association has a lot of information on gluten-free cooking - you can go to their website at www.csaceliacs.org
    there are also a lot of good gluten free recipes and cookbooks available

I like amaranth flour, which is very nutritious and has a nutty flavor - you can also find amaranth cereals, crackers, etc. in most health food stores -it's a good gluten-free alternative for people who like their snack foods. Tapioca flour thickens well - I use it as a base for gravies, so it would probably work for soups.

If you like hot cereal in the mornings, quinoa is a great gluten-free alternative. You can also use it in quick breads and muffins.

Thanks

Just a guess here...but would rice flour work as well? Don't know much about gluten-free cooking but maybe...
    Believe it or not, I AM HUNGRY as all get out...how I can be nauseous and hungry at the same time is beyond me. They have me here on clear liquid diet only, so I may be posting about food ALOT!! :lol: Kinda like "virtual eating"

Thanks

I'm not sure if the other flours thicken as much as wheat flour which is used in soup for purely that reason but I will experiment and see what works best. I am also trying to stay away from cornstarch which would been a good substitute. I used to thicken with agar agar but don't have any in the house right now. Thanks Marycain for your information which I will try and I have already gotten some info from that site you mentioned which has been a great resource for me. I have been wheat free for a while now but not gluten free so I am still stocking my pantry and trying new recipies. We have some great products that are gluten free in this city but they tend to be a bit pricey and so so in taste department so I do like to make things from scratch if I have the time and am feeling well enough.

Already sent my husband to store for a small pumpkin so guess what I am making for supper?

Thanks

A lot of the rice flours like Arrowhead Mills are really gritty and not good for soups or gravies - you can find powdered rice flour in a lot of Asian food stores - it has the same texture as cornstarch and can be used pretty much the same in your recipes. I use it in my bean soups and cassoulets as a thickener.