Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Awful, awful, awful...need a hug or something

Thanks

Default Thank you Marycain!!

Will definitely talk to the hospital about these issues. The LAST thing we need right now are additional medical bills....esp. since this was their mistake.
    Have to take resp. therapy now because they said I'm a prime candidate for pneumonia (I guess because of the lung!)
    I watched football with my husband this afternoon...we are both FIENDS about our team, and they won, but we made so much noise, they asked us to shut our door, :lol:
    Love to all--

Thanks

My lung is reinflating, but slowly. Hubby wanted to spend the day with me, but he is a principal at a high school, and when the cat's away, the mice DO play...so I sent him on to work, bless his dear heart. (He snuck me in some toast, which I dunked into my morning broth...tasted sooo good...sneaky, I know, but I hope it doesn't hurt me...)
    The GI doctor says I get a salad for lunch! *doing the happy-happy-joy-joy* dance. If no problems, she says they may remove the NG tube tomorrow. (I hardly notice it now.)
    Man, the solumedrol gives me wierd dreams! I dreamed last night that I was driving down the highway with the sunroof open (something I never do) and a deflated basketball fell into my car! Then Yao Ming (a famous Houston basketball player) waved me to a stop, opened my car door, smiled and said, "Thank you, I lost this." and took the basketball. Strange.
    My husband bought me a sleep mask, which really helps in the hospital.
    Have a great day, everybody. Bennie Sue, my FAVORITE nurse, is taking care of me all day today. She's cheerful and funny and ever so gentle.

Thanks

Oh sweetie. I am so sorry that you are having such a rough time, but I am glad that it sounds like somebody is finally taking pretty good care of you. It is very smart for your husband to take good care of the nursing staff. It might sound like "cheating" but I say whatever works to get you the most attention possible is the best thing to do!

I'll keep you in my prayers and you concentrate on getting better!

xoxoxo

Peach
    - Peach

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, you're right". - Mary Kay Ash

Thanks

Well, I got the ng tube removed, and they brought me my salad...
    Ohhh it looked so scrumptious. Romaine lettuce, ripe tomatoes, shavings of some kind of white cheese, and strips of grilled chicken...
    Just as I was about to take a bite, the GI doctor walked in and pointed to the salad....she said, "Take off the chicken, the cheese and the tomatoes."
    I nearly cried But I ate the lettuce anyhow. these steroids make me HUNGRY!!!!
    Something really nice; there are two young CUTE guys (hey I'm gonna be 50, but I still notice) who pick up the trays...when one noticed all the stuff I picked off the salad, he asked why and I told him. The kitchen manager came down and asked me what I REALLY wanted to eat. Well, when I was sick as a kid, my mom always made me tomato soup with grilled cheese. The kitchen manager talked to my GI and ask what I could and couldn't have at this point. The tomato soup and grilled cheese has been approved for my dinner! *happy-happy-joy-joy* dance

Thanks

5th day in hospital...
    The ng tube is gone (YAYYY) and I am allowed soft/bland foods...soups and sandwiches mostly. The lung is still not fully reinflated, so still have the suction tube in my back and the Central Line. They say maybe they can take it out tomorrow; I hope so.
    they x-rayed my pelvic region because of the pain I've been having in my hips..I thought it was just inflammation because of this flare I've been in. It turns out I've got some hairline cracks and bone loss there. I've been taking calcium supplements ever since I started taking Prednisone, but they have me on Fosamex now as they say it's much better protocol for steroid takers. So even after the GI thing is gone, they will want me to stay until the fractures mend. (how long they won't say.)
    I'm trying to keep a good face on all this. If not for the GI tract problems, they wouldn't have found this hips thing, and it would have gotten much worse. I feel so stupid. It felt like ground glass in my hip joints, but I am so used to aches/pains during my flares, I didn't realize it could be THIS! The doctor looked at me like I was nuts. He said, "What are you trying to be, Saint Kathy of the Uncomplaining?" Ah well.
    At least I can EAT now (for a foodie like me, not eating was like some cruel and unusual punishment!)
    Oh, they are giving me meds for the pain now...wooohooooooo. As if brain fog wasn't making me silly enough! It still hurts, but I don't care because of the meds!
    I miss my hubby (though he stops by in the early a.m. and spends 4-5 hours at night) and I miss my doggies! Sounds silly, but I say goodnight to them on the phone after he gets home.
    I want to do something special for the nurses here when I leave. They have been so terrific. It can't be too expensive...offer up some ideas, please. They are becoming like family to me.

Thanks

You know, even handwritten notes can mean the world to someone. Imagine the hundreds and hundreds of times they take care of people and never hear from them again. I don't think you have to give a gift, just the gift of your kind words and a heartfelt thought to the individuals who paid special attention to you is worth a lot more than money can buy.

That may sound kind of simple and silly, but that is what I think....
    - Peach

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, you're right". - Mary Kay Ash

Thanks

Default Thank goodness they caught this problem early!

My first clue that I had severe osteoporosis was a major compression fracture of the spine - even though I'd been taking steroids for several years (even before lupus I was taking them for asthma) doctors never mentioned osteoporosis meds, and I never asked because of my age - I thought osteoporosis was an old woman's disease. As it turns out I can't take Fosamax, Actonel and similar meds because of esophageal problems related to lupus/scleroderma, so it's an on-going problem for me. I take parathroid hormone IV but it doesn't restore the lost bone, just keeps the problem from getting worse. The x-ray technician at our local hospital was appalled when I had a bone scan because the scan lit up like a christmas tree from all the fractures I've had.

I do not understand why every doctor who prescribes chronic steroids doesn't automatically order a bone density test for all patients, male and female, regardless of age! It would prevent so many prolems later!

Are you wanting to do something for the nurses before you leave the hospital, or afterward? I usually bake muffins or brownies and take to the nurses after I get out, with a pretty thank you card. I also like to get some really nice hand lotion in a pretty pump dispenser for the nurses' station - they wash their hands so often the skin gets raw, so lotion is really appreciated. I love the Camille Beckman glycerine hand therapy, which comes in several wonderful scents. Sometimes places like bath and body works have mini or sample size individual lotions you can get nexpensively. If you don't have a lot of nurses you want to get gifts for, individual Halloween treat bags with some little goodies would be cute and different. If the nurses' station is really dreary, a potted mum or bright plant might be nice.

I am so glad your tummy is behaving better so you can finally have some solid food!

Thanks

I will write the thank you notes...also might buy a nice plant for the nurse's desk for them to enjoy. To whom in the hospital should i write a note detailing how much I love these people?
    Still on bland diet, but may get to graduate to regular food soon. I begged hubby for a calzone last nigt, but he says not to push it.
    I think I told this to Beautiful Beluga, but when I call at night to say goodnight to my doggies, they all respond in different ways...
    Novio, our big boy, rolls around on my side of the bed, crying and howling, like "I miss you mommy! Please come back!
    Marisol, our mommy dog, licks the reciever: "Sluuurp, sluurp sluurp"
    Buster, our busy little Boston Terrier barks at the phone demanding"
    Where are you? When are you coming home? Come home NOW!

Sure wish they'd let the dogs visit!

Thanks

I feel like Roseanne Roseannadanna---"It's always something."

Now I have the beginnings of pneumonia, probably due to the collapse of the lung and the inactivity of this hospital stay. They have been taking daily x-rays of my lungs since the puncture incident, and the lung was re-inflating so very slowly (more slowly than usual, I guess.) So they had me doing respiratory therapy and breathing excercises, but last night I started to cough and cough, but nothing would come up...it hurt, too, but when everything else hurts, you just don't notice. I figured it was sore muscles from coughing. I didn't think of pleurisy.
    My x-ray this morning looked like bunches of grapes with seeds in them. The sputum that I could bring up this morning was not clear but murky and icky-colored. So now it's pneumonia too. More drugs, antibiotics, sigh.....
    I don't know whether to cry today or scream into my pillow or throw things...actually I have done all three this morning. I am wondering if I will EVER get out of here.
    First a lupus flare, then gastroenteritis, then the lung, then hip fractures, and NOW THIS?????? I haven't even called my husband at work and told him yet...He has a high school to run, and why wreck his day? This news can wait til tonight. I dread telling him.
    I miss my house. I miss my own bed, with snoring hubby next to me. I miss my own food. I miss my dogs. I miss being able to sleep in any poisition I want without worrying about this tube or that needle...
    This is just a poor poor pitiful me rant, I know. Sorry. Feel free to give me a good shaking if you feel like it.

Thanks

I think you need a hug worse, so consider yourself HUGGED!!!! But at least the docs caught the pheumonia in its earliest stages, so they should be able to treat it quickly with antibiotics and breathing treatments. I know it must hurt when you cough, ask the nurse for a little pillow like they use for heart surgery patients - I think it's called a heart hugger, and press it against your chest when you cough - it helps! And chicken soup really does help loosen chest congestion, so have a big bowl of it! Hang in there - you will get through this!