Thread: Today was a good day!

Thanks

Default Today was a good day!

Even though I'm in the middle of a bad flare, I had a super day. I used to be a fantastic teacher. A friend of my husband's (who is starting her own consulting company) asked me to come and give an afternoon in-service for teachers at a school.
    WEll, I remember inservices...ugh. Like sitting through another hour of college lectures, snore. I treated it like I always treated my students...I figure if I'm bored, my students will be bored, too.
    I went in (felt sick as a dog, but SOMEthing took over...I think it was GOD) and started with funny activities, then hands-on actvities, then a paper and pencil activity...
    i just kept hearing how COOL this inservice was, how helpful and applicable the lessons I gave...WOW
    I may have LUPUS, but I am STILL a worthy, vital human being with many things to give and share to make this world a better place.
    This woman wants to hire me now!!!
    Sorry to brag so much, but I feel so much better...I've been lying around hurting and takng meds and wishing I could clean my floors. This was one HECK of a day for me.
    Thank you for listening.

Thanks

Default YOU GO, GIRL!!!

I am so happy for you - isn't it amazing how you can push aside pain and sickness when you are doing something you really love? I am sure the teachers were also thrilled to be spared another lecture on bell curves or learning objectives or whatever educational gobbledegook is the current flavor of the month. It's reassuring that a few teachers still know how to actually teach.

Several years ago Kentucky went through a process of so-called "education reform" known as KERA (Kentucky Educational Reform Act) Those of us who were teachers at the time called it the "early retirement act" because it drove so many good teachers out of the profession. Sadly, we are seeing the legacy of that reform today in one of the highest teacher turnover rates in the country. It's really frustrating for me sometimes when I consider that it took me longer to earn my M.S. and Rank II certificate than I actually spent teaching. It sound like Texas may have many of the same problems.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Congratulations on a wonderful day Littlered :lol:
    Doing something we love, feeling appreciated and knowing that we still have something of value to offer to the world are the best medicines for our souls!!
    You are not bragging...you are sharing a wonderful experience with us that led you to a new career!! I am so very happy for you!

Marycain;
    California has also gone through an education reform and (I hate to admit), I was one of the first to leave the profession. I taught fourth grade and became sooooo frustrated at discovering that there was very little education going on in the public school system. I burned out before achieving tenure and became a probation officer instead :lol: (actually, that was not a large leap!)

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

The problem as I see it, with education in this country is that we SAY children are important...until we have to reach into our wallets and PAY for it. Teachers are professionals, yet the public doesn't see us that way. They see us as "babysitters." And most administrators haven't set foot in a classroom in so long, they've forgotten what teaching IS.
    If I ran the educational world...
    I'd forgive all student college loans after the teacher had taught for 5 years.
    I'd make any teacher who'd put 10 years of teaching in a "Master Teacher" with substancial pay raise.
    I'd mentor new teachers with these Master Teachers to train them and help them get over the rough spots.
    I'd require every administrator to spend every 5th year as a sabbatical teaching in a classroom.
    *shrug* if I ran the educational world.

Thanks

HOLY COW!!!
    My husband brought my paycheck from the woman who ran the workshop. I made $250.00 for one afternoon's work!
    she has another all day workshop scheduled in November, and yet another one in December, for which I'll be paid $500.00 per day!!!
    Then, 6 weeks before the state tests, I'll be working two days per week.
    this is a new business for her, but praise God from whom all blessings flow! She knows about my Lupus, and says "we will find a way to work around your condition. I only want the BEST to work for me."
    Soooo happy. :P

Thanks

Default Congrats!!!

I am glad you are able to do something you are obviously very good at.