Thread: Fasting and lupus

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Fasting and lupus

Hi everyone, as y'all might know that ramadaan(the month of fasting) has come again.
    As a muslim male , it is my obligation to fast.

Fasting abstaining from food and drink from sunrise to sunset,
    However as a person that had lupus for the past ten years, it has always been difficult to do this. not to mention the post complications , flair, etc.

Could anyone please advise on the subject of lupus and fasting.
    Especially from a muslim point of view.
    I intend to live forever, so far so good

Thanks

Hi Morpheus! Well I can't help you from the Muslim point of view but I can give you my view. I am catholic and there are times when we are suppose to fast. I do not. Due to having a medical condition you are excused from these types of things. I'm sure by talking to a religious leader in your faith could help guide you in the right direction. Best of luck!

Happy Ramadaan to you
    Diagnosed in 1990 at age 11.
    Trust in the Lord with all of your heart!

Thanks

Default I can't say that I know that much about Islam, but...

I do know that going without fluids from sunrise to sunset canNOT be good for Lupus patients...although I also know faith works miracles. Do ask your religeous leader. I would think you could get some kind of special dispensation. At least allow fluids (clear soup, juices, etc..) Good luck to you.

Thanks

Hi Morpheus:

I fast regularly for non religious reasons up to 8 days at a time. I do however continue to consume water (initially) and clear fluids (after 3rd day vegtable broth & juice) and have never excluded liquids. My rheumy is aware and has never told me I could not fast however she was interested in how I feel overall during the fast. I personally found that my fatigue and overall inflammation in my muscles and joints is much better during the fast. I do however not have any organ involvement with my disease. Your situation may be different.

I use fasting as a way to naturally cleanse my body and digestive system and it makes me feel wonderful. When I fast the body naturally shuts down the inflammation process and I hardly have any pain. In fact that is the only time I am almost totally pain free. I also do not take any meds during my fast which could be a problem depending on what medications you take. I am only using NASIDS and Plaquenil.

I would like to caution you though that you check with you own rheumy first because my situation may be completely different than yours.

Thanks

I am not muslim, but do have several close Muslim friends, one of whom is a diabetic. As an observant Muslim I know that sawm is an important religious obligation, but she has been told that she should not fast unless her doctor permits it, that this observance is required only for "able"
    muslims and children, the aged, and ill people are not required to observe the fast if it would endanger their health. There are times when she has fasted when her doctor permits her to do so. She places her pre-dawn meal carefully and monitors her blood glucose during the day. Although I am not aware of any information on fasting for lupus patients, there are guidelines for fasting for diabetic Muslims that might help you. I have also been told that when someone is unable to fast, they make fullfil this obligation by feeding a needy person, so perhaps you might discuss this with your religious leaders.

I wish you Allah's blessings, much peace and happiness during this season.

Thanks

Hi Morpheus,

I will echo what beautifulbeluga says; with the exception that because I do have heart, kidney and brain involvement - I do have to be maintained on meds - so I drink MISO soup which is high in protein and sustains me when I fast.

As everyone else has recommended, I too agree that talking to your doctor and spiritual advisor would be a good idea.

Hope that you're doing well.

Take Care -

Much love,
    Browneyedgirl
    "I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." - unknown

Thanks

I too am a muslim but i confess i havnt observed ramadan ever since i was diagnosed with lupus. I dont fast not because my doctor told me not to but because i feel remaining on empty stomach through out the day wont be a wise decision specially when i suffer from severe heartburns. Though i am contemplating fasting one of these days with adequate medication at the time of sehr just to see whether i can make it or not...

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanx everyone for all the informative responses.

Sara, you mentioned something about severe heartburns, i too have been experiencing some lately.

Is this connected to lupus?
    I intend to live forever, so far so good

Thanks

[quote="Morpheus"]Thanx everyone for all the informative responses.

Sara, you mentioned something about severe heartburns, i too have been experiencing some lately.

Is this connected to lupus?[/quote

in my case, it is a recent development after i had appendectomy some time back. I cant say for sure whether lupus and heartburn are connected but it is true that some NSAIDS if taken on empty stomach do cause severe acidity. i feel heartburn is more of a dietery issue and can be kept in check by avoiding excess of tea, coffee, carbonated drinks and citrus fruit and juices. So, its best to increase intake alkaline foods in your diet. I have discovered that a bowl of yoghurt with meal or having couple of dates daily keeps heartburn in check....

hope this helps....