Thread: Lupus and Luekemia ?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Lupus and Luekemia ?

Hi Guys,
    I am just sticking this out there, I went to the doctor yesterday and I have an abnormal amount of bruising for no reson anlong with some other symptoms that are associated with both diseases I have also been on numeroud medications that are not helping at all. I am not getting any better I am just getting worse. Anyway the doctor now wants to test me for luekemia, Has any one else ever heard of this?

Just drop me a quick line. I am scared to death.

Jasmine
    What hurts, Will only make us stronger

Thanks

Default Hi, Jasmine

I can understand why you are scared - leukemia is a very scary word. Basicaslly, leukemia is a form of cancer that affects your white blood cells, causing them to grow abnormally and crowd out your normal healthy blood cells such as red blood cells and platelets (which control blood clotting).

Leukemia van cause a number of symptoms including Fevers, night sweats, frequent infections, feeling weak or tired, headache
    Bleeding and bruising easily (bleeding gums, purplish patches in the skin, or tiny red spots under the skin)
    Pain in the bones or joints
    Swelling or pain in the abdomen (from an enlarged spleen)
    Swollen lymph glands in the neck or armpit, and weight loss

If your doctor suspects leukemia, he may refer you to an oncologist (cancer doctor) or hematologist (doctor who specializes in blood diseases) for further tests, which might include blood tests, a bone marrow biopsy or needle aspiration, chest x-ray and CT scans. There are several diffent types of leukemia, so treatment depends of the type and severity of the diserase.

There are many diseases which can cause some of the same symptoms as leukemia, so try not to be too worried until your doctor makes a definite diagnosis. I hope your doctor has an answer for you soon - waiting is a scary and frustrating thing