Thread: Good rheumy in NYC

Thanks

Default Good rheumy in NYC

I need to start taking control and visit a doctor. I am in NY city everyday for work and need a recommendation for a doctor.
    I just do not want to pick anyone out of the book.

I really appreciate it.

Thanks

Do you live in the city? I have a great rheumy but he's in NJ, close to the city. :idea:
    "I've learned that when bad times come, you can let them make you bitter or use them to make you better."

Thanks

Default rheumy in nyc

Thanks so much for the offer. I work in the city, but live in westchester so NJ might be too far to go when i feel rotten.
    I am taking a leap of faith and seeing a doctor that has been on NY one news channel as their medical advisor.

I will let you know how it goes.

thank you !

Thanks

Try looking for a doc at one of the hospitals associated with a medical school, such as Columbia Presbyterian, NYU Medical Center, and I think Mt. Sinai. I believe these medical centers give a high level of care and are usually research institutions as well. Also, try a local support group; bet you will get an earful about the good (and the bad!) docs. I switched docs and it was a great move. Both are board certified rheumatologists, both practice at the same hospital and even went to the same medical school. I am sure # 1 is not a bad doctor, but he wasn't good for me. My new doctor and I are on the same page about everything. She takes me seriously, and we listen to each other, and mostly she really CARES what happens to me. So I guess the answer is start out where good cutting edge medicine is practiced, so you will have some real choices. (and we are lucky to have this opportunity!) But you still have to "try out" the doc.

Thanks

Hi! I live in Riverdale and I go to Dr. Kerr at Mt. Sinai. She's brilliant and a great doc.

Thanks

Default Dr Harry Sipiera 212-860-4000 1088 Park Ave @ 89 Street Lvl

A name I was referred to by a fellow lupie -- FYI though -- he doesn't take insurance and his consulting fee is $400..

Thanks

Default I know the best NYC doc

I was living in Manhattan when I was diagnosed 2 yrs ago. The best hospital is the Hospital for Special Surgery on E. 70th. (It ranked #3 or 4 in the country in rheumatology according to a U.S. News & World Report study.) Probably any doc there would be good, but I saw Dr. Jessica Berman, who was wonderful. She really cares. Trust me - I was hospitalized in 2 NYC hospitals in the course of a year and did lots of research to find the very best. Dr. Lockshin is also supposed to be good. I spent almost a month admitted to HSS and met a lot of their rheumatologists and residents. After I was discharged, I moved back home to Massachusetts so my parents could care for me. Now I see a Dr in Boston who Dr. Berman recommended and I really like her. Dr. Berman also takes insurance, and she even called me recently just to see how I was doing!