Thread: Vitamins and Lupus

Thanks

Default Vitamins and Lupus

Good morning!
    I havent been here in a while, however it is ALWAYS good to sign in and know ya'll are still here.
    I have a question on vitamins and products.
    What vitamins can I take and how should they be taken. ex: Vit-C, B, multi, E, Calcium and what do you think about colostrum?

I have honestly aged alot this last year. I have always been told I look like my late 20's to be in my 40's. I would always act modest, however I knew it was true. NOW.......I am looking my age and passing it up. Please advise.

Also, have you heard about the sugeries on t-cells? I have an article on it if you are interested. If you are already familiar with it, could you please advise on that as well? Again, I am greatful ya'll are here. Love, Paula

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Welcome back Paula:
    I cannot make specific recommendations for any medications..that, unfortunately, includes vitamins and/or over-the counter drugs. Sorry :cry:
    However, I can give you some general advice on nutrition for LUPUS:
    A) Keep your diet low in saturated fats, they have been known to contribute to inflamation and promotes heart disease. I, personally, eat no red meats whatsoever. However, other Lupus patients find that a little beef in their diets seem to help with their fatigue.
    B) Avoid alfafa, they contain an immune system stimulating compound called canavanine which MAY trigger lupus flares.
    C) Avoid mushrooms and legumes (beans in a pod), they contain hydazines and amines that can aggravate some LUPUS patients and cause flares.
    D) Avoid Nightshade foods and products, they contain high levels of solanine (a trisaccharide acting as a natural pesticide to the body of a lupus patient) such as: tomatoes, eggplant, white potatoes, tobacco, all peppers EXCEPT black pepper.
    There are other foods that have caused lupus flares in some patients such as:
    * Milk (the lactose)
    * Mushrooms
    * Caffeine
    * Aspartine
    * Chocolate (ouch :cry: )
    * Soybeans
    * Corn
    * Spinach
    * Carrots
    * Celery
    * Parsley
    * Figs
    * Citrus Fruits
    * Zucchini
    * Olive Oil
    * Alfalfa
    * Goldenseal
    The secret to eating these foods is to do it in moderation. You may have to totally stay away from some and may have no problems at all with others. Everyone reacts differently, just become very aware of how your body reacts to certain foods and products and then adjust your diet accordingly!
    Some say that antioxidants can help with lupus flares and the calcium and Vitamin D help with the effects of corticosteroids. There is also some talk about fish oils for joint pain. Here are some othe herbs to avoid according to Medakate.org:
    Echinacea, Larch, Astragalus, Shiitake Mushrooms, Maitake, reishi, Ginseng, Lomatium, Hydrastis, Oregon Grape, Ligusticum, Birds Nest Soup!
    I hope that I have been of some help to you
    Take Care of Yourself
    Saysusie

Thanks

I recently bought a book on lupus, and it said not to take vitamins. Just stick to your medicines.

Thanks

Taking vitamins can make your body dependant on them. The B-Vitamins are related to nerve/ brain health, and if taken regularly, then suddenly stopped could cause depression. B-Vitamins also compete in your stomache for absorbtion. If you get too much of one, it may block another needed one. Since I don't see vitamin B-17 on any labels, I'd avoid taking these and look for natural sources. I've read that 99% of mental illness patients had a b-vitamin deficiency or issue with utilizing a certain b-vit.

Fish oil in capsules is said to be not good because it's concentrated and not natural. I've heard it recommended to eat a few fish based meals a week. I think the number is low because of the lead and mercury found in them nowadays. That said, fish with fins and scales should be safer. Just don't eat the scales were metals can deposit. Salmon is a nice fatty fish if the flavour agrees with you.

Other ways of getting nutrition are; juicing, getting whole food supplements, and getting raw foods.

Why raw foods? Vitamin E works better than prescribed drugs for thinning the blood. Vitamin E is naturally found in vegetable oils, but not in departments store's oils due to pasteurization. Milk is another unnatural drink that's been homogenized and pasteurized to ruin it. Hydrogenated oils aren't natural either, and thus unsafe. I've read that a by-product of hydrogenation is what causes heart disease. Canola oil was devoloped from a toxic plant. It's no wonder so many people are dying young nowadays. Canola/ hydrogenated oil is in almost every popular prepared food. B-vitamins are destroyed by heat and light. Fluoride is very toxic. I recommend researching this. I've read that it causes problems with thyroids, and doesn't help our teeth one bit. Chlorine added to our water is also unsafe. It's purpose is to kill living organisms. Isn't that what we are?