Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: new tp ypu

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default new tp ypu

    Hello all. I was diagnosed with discoid lupus last Sept. Lots of syptoms of SLE but docs wont say that yet. Lots of frustration over 9 years to get to this point. Should I stay with family doctors or switch to a specialist? I just hate the thought of another specialists on top of all I have now.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Victorville, California
    Blog Entries
    Thanked 1,128 Times in 743 Posts


    Hi Ricarat :P
    First, let me welcome you to our family!
    It is usually advisable to have a rheumatologist when you are diagnosed with any autoimmune disease (such as Lupus). A rheumatologist is an internist or pediatrician who is qualified by additional training and experience in the diagnosis and treatment of Lupus, Arthritis and other diseases of the joints, muscles and bones. Many rheumatologists conduct research to determine the cause and better treatments for these disabling and sometimes fatal diseases. Rheumatologists treat arthritis, certain autoimmune diseases, musculoskeletal pain disorders and osteoporosis. There are more than 100 types of these diseases, including rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, gout, lupus, back pain, osteoporosis, fibromyalgia and tendonitis. Some of these are very serious diseases that can be difficult to diagnose and treat with a rheumatologist and almost impossible to do so with a family doctor or general practitioner who has not had the specialized training of a rheumatologist.
    It would be better, in the long run, if you do get a referral to a rheumatologist.....the sooner the better.
    I hope that I've answered your question

    Peace and Blessings

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts