Thread: Hello, would like to join..

Thanks

Default Hello, would like to join..

My name is Mel, and the only thing I should tell first, is that I am in a "transition phase" right now. My Rheumy is saying my ANA is positive, have the skin rash on face, and the joint pain throughout my body on bad days, my feet, knees, hips, hands, wrists, and the area between my neck and shoulders. Although the lab tests showed that it was RA, he says he doesn't base everything on blood tests alone, but all of the other factors. He says I am in a transition phase to full blown lupus, and we will work on getting this under control. I am currently trying to wean off prednasone and taking plaquenil. So even though I am in this "transition phase" I hope I can join your board. For a little history.

I am 32 years old, married 10 years, with 3 children, two boys, ages 7 and 1, and a daughter who is 5. This, I believe all began when I was first pregnant with my 3rd child, my wrists started to hurt then, but I never really knew why, just treated as over straining. Then near the end of my pregnancy my shoulders began to hurt, but didnít think anything of it then either. Then when my son was 6 months old, it spread again to my hands and wrists. I went to a Rheumy initially, but I was still breastfeeding, so when I was done he wanted me to come back. But later on, everything stopped hurting.

Then it began this past February, I woke up one morning, and had difficulty walking, all my joints hurt, thought it was viral, so did my regular doctor. By April I went back, while the pain didnít hurt nearly as bad in February, I was still having joint pain. He put me on naproxen, but my stomach couldnt handle it. So they put me on celebrex. By May, I could barely walk, but forced myself, I had to work, take care of my family, basically live life. Then in June, the doc finally referred me to a Rheumy once again, but I couldnít get in until August, and I was still nursing, so that gave me my date to wean. He is my last child and I was an extended nurser.

At any rate, by the end of July I saw a different regular doc,, I told her I couldnít handle it anymore, the celebrex wasn't working, and my son was weaned. I was hurting so bad, my hand/knee joints were swollen, I could only wear one pair of shoes and even those hurt my feet. I had already seen a podiatrist, who ordered me some custom inner soles. Every joint ached, and so she put me on prednasone, and man, a relief within a few days, I had not felt so good in months. Then I saw the Rheumy and the rest is history. This is it for now, I see him again in about a month, and hopefully by then the plaquinel will be working. Thank you if you got this far, I will more questions and will be seeking advice, but this is long enough for now.

-Mel

Thanks

Hi Mel:

Wanted to drop you a line and welcome you to this site, and of course you are welcome here. I think you will find this site a great support for you with wonderful people and great resource information. I am so sorry to hear that you are having such a tough time of it right now. Many of the medications used to treat RA are the same as used with SLE and plaquenil is one of the drugs used upon initial dx. so that is good you are on it. It can take up to 6 months to work properly so don't get discouraged if you don't see improvement right away. It is common for many of us to have more than one dx. so having RA and SLE is quite common here.

You did mention that you had been on Celebrex. Are you still on this medication? Celebrex is a sulfa based drug and many people with lupus cannot tolerate Sulfa drugs. Make sure if you are still on this that you discuss it with your rheumy.

Hang in there and I know things will get better after all you have that wonderful family to enjoy. Take care of you and look forward to seeing other posts from you.

beautifulbeluga

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Mel;
    I just wanted to take this opportunity to welcome you to our family and to let you know that you will always find people here who are more than willing to share information, provide support, give comfort and let you know that we understand and you are not alone!
    I am glad that your doctor is already treating you with plaquenil and prednisone and that you are getting some relief at last. But, as Beautifulbeluga said, do talk to your doctor about the Cellcept!!
    I am glad that you found us and I hope that we can provide you with support, comfort, information and friendship!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Welcome :BIG:
    Diagnosed in 1990 at age 11.
    Trust in the Lord with all of your heart!

Thanks

Welcome Mel, I am pretty new to this site myself but have found more answers here than I have from any of the many docs I have seen! Like none of them ever told me it would take up to six months for the Paquinil to work! Here I am all frustrated after two months....Now that I know it is normal I can bear it....I hope you find this site as helpful as I have!