Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No remissions?

Thanks

Default No remissions?

I was recently reading an article from a very reputable Lupus newsletter that shows new research saying that Lupus never goes into "remission" and that remission means dormant and that although Lupus has periods of time where it is "quieter", it is not actually a remission like with MS or Cancer where the disease is virtually nonexistant at times.

Has anyone else read a similar article. That might answer a personal question I have had for 11 years - what is wrong with me - why can't I get into a remission, I'm doing everything right. Apparenlty I am, it's the Lupus, it doesn't go into remission as I was originally lead to believe.
    Love, Laugh and Live Hard...

Thanks

I haven't heard that, but I have heard that very few people go into a real remission...
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Thanks

i believe had a total remission for a 4 mnth period when i was completely free of any lupus symptom. I must also add that this was also one of the most carefree periods i had in a long time when i was at my parents place and felt truely relaxed.Infact, i once told my mom that i shd get tested myself for lupus again , maybe i never had it in the first place and it was all a case of misdiagnosis. But once i returned to my place and resumed the old routine, slowly the symptoms came back and i had to start medication again.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi JenHa55:

I have been in what they call "remission" for several years now. My doctors told me that Lupus remission merely means that my symptoms can be controlled with very few medications! Meaning, the disease is still there, I still get symptoms, suffer flares, etc. But I am taking little to no medications specifically for Lupus. I am controlling my disease with lifestyle changes, precautions, good diet, exercise, etc.
    My new rheumatologist told me that my "remission" is actually what he calls "Mild Lupus".
    So, I guess that the article you read is pretty much the truth. Lupus is a chronic and lifelong disease that gets better and gets worse and, as you have found, the roller-coaster depends upon a great many variables and is different for each of us!!
    I do, however, take medications for my Fibromyalgia and my other illnesses that accompany Lupus!! So, who knows?

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

I had asked my Dr. that also in the beginning of this, he said "there is no remission, because that implies you are FREE of the disease, he said there are periods when lupus is not AS active, but NEVER gone."
    An eye for an eye only makes for a very blind world.

Thanks

Hi there, yes it sounds by the description of others that it is not indeed a true remission and that Stardust's doctor has agreed with this as has mine - in that the disease can go "quiet" but never in "remission" as remission would mean you are disease-free.

10 years ago doctors would originally say to you that you could go into "remission" but now they tell you that your disease could hopefully go "quiet" but that it is not that difficult to "trigger" it back up again.

Unfortunately, my disease has never really gone quiet. There are good periods of time for me and bad periods of time for me but never quiet. So, for me - I love those good periods of time.
    Love, Laugh and Live Hard...

Thanks

Default helpful

I found this topic very helpful. I am newly diaganosed (though I have been ill for a long time) I have been on meds for two months and was getting frustrated that my lupus is not "under control" I cant get a good week symptom free. I havent a clue if the is "Normal" I find this site very infomative.

Thanks

This is a very good topic. I have had my Lupus disappear for years at a time. I have even had the doctors tell me that I do not have Lupus. So in my mind, given I had no real symptoms for some time, I assumed I was falsely diagnosed. Therefore, I went better than 4-5 years without medical attention. Every now and then I would feel like I had the flu and thought maybe I am just being lazy. It wasn't until they found fluid around my heart that I now believe I was diagnosed properly. I will from this point on seek medical care and do as I am told. What I have learned from all of this is NOT to dismiss what your body is telling you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JenHa55
    Hi there, yes it sounds by the description of others that it is not indeed a true remission and that Stardust's doctor has agreed with this as has mine - in that the disease can go "quiet" but never in "remission" as remission would mean you are disease-free.

10 years ago doctors would originally say to you that you could go into "remission" but now they tell you that your disease could hopefully go "quiet" but that it is not that difficult to "trigger" it back up again.

Unfortunately, my disease has never really gone quiet. There are good periods of time for me and bad periods of time for me but never quiet. So, for me - I love those good periods of time.

I'm not sure I agree with that... I don't think that remission= cure. From what I have heard a REAL remission is when you have no symptoms and are on minimal if any drugs. But, it doesn't mean that it can't come back!

Like, there is no cure for cancer, but it does go into remission. And sometimes stays there, and sometimes doesn't... I think there is a difference...
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Thanks

I know there are times my ana has been negative as well as other times very high.
    Again, the explanation from my Dr. was that certain meds (especially prednizone) which we all periodically have to take alters the blood work.

My first Dr. I saw was together enough to know this and even tho I showed negative, he continued to look at ALL options and did more tests rather than excuse me as some depressed, over stressed, paronoid, menopausal woman, which so many Dr. do!!!!!!!

I sooooooooo agree in US knowing better than anyone how we feel and keep searching for a Dr.. that will be as determined as we are to find answers and BELIEVE us when we know something is not right.
    An eye for an eye only makes for a very blind world.