Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: understanding flares

Thanks

Default understanding flares

Hi all. Thanks for all the posts here - a wealth of information and perspective in this forum! I've had mild SLE so far (skin/joint) but fighting pleurisy now for first time. I'm wondering how you folks know you're heading into a flare. I assume it's different for everyone like the course of the disease in general.

Thanks,
    overit

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yes, flares are as different for each of us as the disease itself is. It is almost impossible to predict a flare. Sometimes, the best that we can do is to take precautions in order to avoid a flare.
    For me, my muscles begin to burn as if on fire and I get overwhelming fatigue (cannot move!). Generally, when I feel these things, it is followed by a flare which, for me, means mouth ulcers, debilitating fatigue, stiff and sore joints, loss of apetite, and extreme muscle pain.

Hope this helps
    Saysusie

Thanks

for me I feel like I am getting a pimple on each shoulder blade....

Thanks

I am just learning to recognize my flares. I too get mouth ulcers and my muscles become very weak. Back in May I went to a tanning salon and tanned everyday for 30 days. When I reflect back, by the latter part of that month I was in bad shape. It has progressed from there and now I have to seek medical treatment. I have noticed that if I rest it makes all the difference in the world.

Thanks

for me,

my arms start to burn and I get this thing like electric shock flashes.
    It's really hard to explain but the skin burning is the main symptom and nothing stops the burning but ice rags.
    An eye for an eye only makes for a very blind world.

Thanks

Default Hi y'all

My husband can tell I'm about to go into flare. He says I get more snappish and irritable (well, maybe that's just me :roll: But the first thing I always notice is that I feel like I'm coming down with the flu. Achy all over and I move like I'm under water. Then my face turns bright red in the classic butterfly pattern.

Thanks

They say everyone is different. I am thankful my skin does not burn. That sounds rough. I am like littlered, I get those same flu symptoms. It usually takes me a bit to figure it out. I am much better at it in the summer, mainly because the flu is not prevalent at that time of year. I don't know if it is just me or not, but have any of you had a problem with fluid in your ears?
    It is not possible to be worried while fully trusting in God.

Thanks

for me, the spot on your neck where it meets your shoulders, you know that joint? it starts hurting and swells and gets really hot. then it goes away and the next day or so it hits. That's my warning to clear my schedule.
    As for the question about the fluid on the ears, I don't get that often but have had it. I do get ringing in my ears, actually it's like a buzzing sound and very irritating. Took me forever to realize I was the only one hearing it. LOL

Thanks

I get that ringing in my ears and was told it is the following:
    What is tinnitus?

Tinnitus is a ringing, swishing, or other type of noise that seems to originate in the ear or head. In many cases it is not a serious problem, but rather a nuisance that may in time go away. It is not a single disease, but a symptom of an underlying condition. Nearly 36 million Americans suffer from this disorder. In almost all cases, only the patient can hear the noise.
    It is not possible to be worried while fully trusting in God.

Thanks

With all the different symptions, it seems as if the hot, burning skin seems to be in almost all??? I wonder why that is, is there any kind of study being done with lupus to catorigize all these different symptoms and find "the most common"??? and go from there??????

stardust
    An eye for an eye only makes for a very blind world.