Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hair dyes and lupus

Thanks

I just had my hair dyed today actually. I use a color called " blowed out burgandy" and then I had deeper red streaks put in the front. I have been dying my hair since I was 12. Bleaching seems much more harsh to me because it is a stronger developer. I have been every color in the rainbow, except black, I don't think I could pull it off. I have not noticed any difference in the way I feel when I dye my hair. Then again, I feel like crap all the time anyway so maybe I should say I don't feel worse.
    I USE TO SKINNY DIP...NOW I CHUNKY DUNK!

Thanks

Last time I saw the rheumy, I told him if it was going to fall out anyway, I wanted it to look pretty in the meantime so I dyed it. I swear he wrote "IN DENIAL" in my medical record!

I had heard about the possible connection to triggering lupus initially, but not so much about triggering flares. Hmm. I've been dying for the last couple of years (figured I already had lupus...denial again huh?) and lupus has remained mild. I use the shorter acting versions with natural color. Also I tend to not care what I look like when I don't feel well, thus it's not as frequent as most.

Anyway, grey roots (all in a big clump right in front) are starting to show again, but busy fighting off pleurisy right now, so maybe I'll wait another week!

Overit

Thanks

Everyone repeat after me HAIR IS GOOD! I had been dying my hair but now with the Lupus my hair is falling out so much I do as little as possible to it! Will it grow back? I use steriod drops on my scalp which seems to have slowed it down some :?:

Thanks

Nioxin shampoo and conditioner will help slow down the hair loss, and may even help it grow back... There are several posts on this some where... I'll see if I can find them for you!
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Thanks

BLESS YOU! I feel like crap...do I have to look like crap too? :lol:

Thanks

"All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Thanks

This topic is a huge issue for many as you can see by the response to the initial post. Like others who posted I started to dye my hair in my early 20's I think and once I started I continued until 4 years ago. I am perhaps quite a bit older than many who post here being 58. So that makes approximately 20 years of hair dye (give or take a few years) and in the beginning years I did not have any symptoms either. It was only with years upon years of chemicals I began to run into problems. Really, there are chemicals everywhere. So, what I could originally do I later could not tolerate.

Did all those years of chemicals cause my auto-immune disease, who knows but for sure it probably didn't help. What is known to me now as I reflect back is that with each passing year my symptoms increased.

It is very hard to be chronically ill for sure but it is equally difficult to make choices in our lives to eliminate things or habits that others seem to be able to get away with. I really loved my beautiful auburn hair blowing in the wind catching the bouncing sun rays as I walked out on the tarmac to catch my weekly flight. Never a day went by (no kidding) that someone wouldn't comment on my once beautiful hair.

Do I miss the color of my hair ......yes!
    Do I miss giving up the job I loved....yes!
    Do I miss being able to splash on perfume and smell so good...yes!
    Do I miss using bounce in my dryer and having my clothes smell so nice......yes!
    Do I miss all the other things I had to give up or lost due to this illness.....Yes

It somehow just doesnt seem fair but that's it isn't it life is not always fair.

Thanks

Default Grey is good

I wish I had your courage to go gray. I have been highlighting my hair for year, but now i think its time to let it go..
    I never made the connection to the flare and the haircoloring until now.. but looking back i can see it!!

wish me luck!

Thanks

I have more courage to go gray than bald! I dont want to cause my hair any more trauma than it already has. Gray hair is better than no hair!
    In the depths of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer.

Thanks

Default I've been dying my hair for so long...

I don't know if I have any gray because I dye it before i can spot it, LOL.
    I do find that I am very sensitive to the smell and my mouth tingles when I do touch-up. I don't dye it at all when I'm in flare. Heck, when I'm in flare, I only do what MUST be done because I don't have the energy.
    I use Feria because it seems to me that the smell isn't as strong.