Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: hair dyes and lupus

Thanks

hi everyone!

I have done a bit of research ever since i posted my query about hair dyes. After reading your responses, i felt it best to stay away from permanent dyes and explore the other option which is henna. i dont know how popular is henna in the west but here in the east it is extensively used to colour hair and decorating hands and feet. So off i went to a reputed parlour to know abt its pros and cons and here is what i was told..

1. Henna is natural,vegetable, semi permanent hair colour which doesnt contain chemicals like ammonia which can harm you.

2. Unlike chemical hair dyes, henna doesnt permeate the hair shaft but coats it from outside.

3. last but most attractive advantage is that you can use it as a nourishing pack for your hair by adding lemon juice for shine, fenugreek powder for conditioning and egg/yoghurt for nourishment. it also helps prevent dandruff, hairfall and itching due to dryness of scalp.

The one and only disadvantage i feel is that putting it on for 2-3 hours and washing it off is a messy business but for those of us who are not bold enough to go grey, this is an option worth exploring..

take care

Thanks

Well... yeah... But from a professional stand point, henna is no better for your hair... Insome aspects it may be worse... Henna, as you said, coats the hair shaft... Your hair has things that are like the pores on your skin, called the cuticle which is what allows your hair to absorb moisture, protein, oil, etc. Everything you need for healthy hair. (These things also help your color last longer) Henna is like coating your hair in wax. (Also, if you use pantene prov you ARE coating your hair in wax.) Doing this not only damages the hair because it cannot absorb the nutrients it needs, but keeps it from expanding and contracting with temperature and humidity... Basically, it suffocates the hair. So, the condition of your hair will not improve. Plus, the coating effect that henna has on your hair makes it just as bad as grocery store brands which have metallic salts in them, because their damaging effects don't go away until the hair is cut off. Where as with professional products, the damage the chemicals cause can be reconstructed. If you want "natural" hair color, your best bet is an Aveda salon. All of their products are natural, and do not contain ammonia.

Sorry to rain on the parade.
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Thanks

[quote="SoleSinger"]Well... yeah... But from a professional stand point, henna is no better for your hair... Insome aspects it may be worse... Henna, as you said, coats the hair shaft... Your hair has things that are like the pores on your skin, called the cuticle which is what allows your hair to absorb moisture, protein, oil, etc. Everything you need for healthy hair. (These things also help your color last longer) Henna is like coating your hair in wax. (Also, if you use pantene prov you ARE coating your hair in wax.) Doing this not only damages the hair because it cannot absorb the nutrients it needs, but keeps it from expanding and contracting with temperature and humidity... Basically, it suffocates the hair. So, the condition of your hair will not improve. Plus, the coating effect that henna has on your hair makes it just as bad as grocery store brands which have metallic salts in them, because their damaging effects don't go away until the hair is cut off. Where as with professional products, the damage the chemicals cause can be reconstructed. If you want "natural" hair color, your best bet is an Aveda salon. All of their products are natural, and do not contain ammonia.

Sorry to rain on the parade.[/quote

Solesinger, i dont want to contradict you but as per my knowledge, the only part of hair which is alive is the hair follicle which lies below the scalp, rest of the shaft is the "dead part" so whatever treatment we do to the shaft wont effect it as long as it doesnt penetrate the follicle which controls the growth and quality of the hair. the nutrients too are not absorbed by the hair cuticle but by the follicle which takes nutrients from the blood supplying the scalp..... . which is why i felt henna is more advantageous since it coats only the surface.... anyways, i already applied henna pack yesterday on my hair, so i will get first hand info. whether it had damaged or helped in any way

Thanks

It isn't alive, however the cuticle does expand and contract still, and your hair does still need moisture, oil, and protein in order to not be porous and weak. Why do you put shampoo and conditioner on your whole head instead of just your scalp, if your hair does not absorb the nutrients from it? Your hair outside of your scalp is like a sponge, and can get dry and brittle without the proper nutrients to strengthen it.
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Thanks

The first time I dyed my hair-June 05, 3 months after diagnosis. I did get a rash and feel yucky a few days later. But my rheum. says he doent think the chemicals in dyes are responsible.???? I think everyone is different!
    kimb

Thanks

Default Nioxin

Well I finally found a place in town that sells Nioxin...and a friend with a license to go with me. I must praise the Lord as I was doubtful I could afford the hair care stuff. Lo and behold the Nioxin was 40% OFF! I got the 33 oz shampoo for $11.39, the 8.5 oz condtioner for $5.99 and the starter kit with the scalp treatment for $11.25. I was so thrilled...now I just hope it works! I also started using the Mirracil last week...so far not much of a change but I hope and pray!
    In the depths of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer.

Thanks

Hi everyone

so pleased to join this group - heading towards grey hair but need some work with my hairdresser to get there. Hope it turns out to be "silver".