Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hair dyes and lupus

Thanks

Default hair dyes and lupus

hi everyone

i wonder if any one here has used permanent hair colours and felt worsening of lupus symptoms ? i am undecided whether to go for permanent dyes or natural colouring agents like henna though i am more keen on the former because of their easy application..I am told that some amount of dye( whether chemical or natural) does go inside the body through the pores in the scalp so i am unsure whether it would affect lupus or not...

any advice would be helpful...

thanks

Thanks

Hi Sara:

I wanted to reply to your post regarding hair dye and lupus. I had been dying my hair for many years due to premature greying that runs in my family. I was using permanent color in the color of auburn. My joint symptoms, fatigue, and flu like symptoms were greatly increasing. Also I began having more head sores and mouth sores especially around the time I would color my hair. Finally, I began to have breathing problems and chest pain. At first I ignored these symptoms, after all I had been coloring my hair forever but finally after a specially bad attack where I thought my husband would have to take me to the hospital I reluctantly quit going to the hairdresser for coloring.

I do not know if there is a connection between hair color and lupus however for myself I definitely know there is a connection for me. Although It has been difficult to let my grey show through my personal choice for myself was not to take any more chances than I have to. Hair chemicals are very toxic and chemicals tend to build and stay in the body for a long time.

Thanks

I have heard people with experiences like BeautifulBeluga's... For me, it doesn't worsen my symptoms... But, I do find that I am more sensitive to the smell when i am applying it. I was a hairdresser for years, so to be sensitive to the smell all of a sudden is weird, but it goes away once it's applied.

It could be different for everyone, OR it might depend on what color brand you are using. Are you using a grocery store brand, or a professional brand? Within that which brand are you using? Some are definitely harsher than others... It would be cool to be able to do an experiment with a bunch of different variables... As long as no one got sick... I'm babbling... SHUT UP JILLIAN!

Hope that helps some!!
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beautifulbeluga
    Hi Sara:

I wanted to reply to your post regarding hair dye and lupus. I had been dying my hair for many years due to premature greying that runs in my family. I was using permanent color in the color of auburn. My joint symptoms, fatigue, and flu like symptoms were greatly increasing. Also I began having more head sores and mouth sores especially around the time I would color my hair. Finally, I began to have breathing problems and chest pain. At first I ignored these symptoms, after all I had been coloring my hair forever but finally after a specially bad attack where I thought my husband would have to take me to the hospital I reluctantly quit going to the hairdresser for coloring.

I do not know if there is a connection between hair color and lupus however for myself I definitely know there is a connection for me. Although It has been difficult to let my grey show through my personal choice for myself was not to take any more chances than I have to. Hair chemicals are very toxic and chemicals tend to build and stay in the body for a long time.

did you have the same reaction with henna too?

Thanks

I found that I was having some reaction to having my hair colored, so I tried an experiment and switched to highlighting or weaving, where the stylist applies color to sections of my hair, on foil with a brush, and then folds the foil over while it sets. I have a much better time that way.

It doesn't cover my whole head, but the smell is much reduced, the dye barely touches my skin at all, just a couple of tiny drops here and there, and I am much happier. My stylist is so good now that she is extra careful with me and the last couple of times she hasn't gotten any on my skin at all. I also find that I can experiment with colors and give myself a "pick me up" when I am feeling down.
    - Peach

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, you're right". - Mary Kay Ash

Thanks

EVERYONE REPEAT AFTER ME.......GREY IS GOOD !!!
    One more time....out loud.....grey is good
    And again, grey is good and grey is my friend :lol: :lol: :lol:

I had much of the same as beautifulbeluga - and hair falling out as well.
    My dermatologist said, that the dye indeed does penetrate into the hair follicles and yes, people do experience all kinds of symptoms, while others may not.

When most of my hair fell out, I decided "what the monkey do", I'll let it grow back in naturally. It is all silver - *(notice the nice name).... :lol:
    I am always surprised when people come up to me and say how much they love my hair (and all the while, I thought I was looking about 80).

Let the grey in, and let your heart shine outward. It's your beautiful smile, it's your loving spirit; and THAT'S what everyone will love you for.

SO BE BOLD.....BE GRAY!!!
    WE'LL ALL LOVE YOU THAT WAY !!!

Much love,
    Browneyedgirl
    "I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." - unknown

Thanks

I dye my hair. From light brown to blond. And the only thing I notice is trouble breathing and lots of mucus the few days to a week following. I've only gotten it done once since my diagnosis, so next time I will look out for weird symptoms.

Thanks

Hi again Sara:

In answer to your question about henna. No, I have never tried that but I did try what Peach suggested she does successfully and that is just highlights or streaks. I had the same reaction with that even though as mentioned not as much dye touches the scalp. I have heard that red dye's are the worst for reactions but I really didn't want to risk any further complications so I just quit dying. I have also heard of women having similar problems with perms but I never get one so I really don't know.

I have noticed that many chemicals now bother me from cleaning products, to perfumes, paints, gas, smoke etc. I am not sure if I am the only one but now I find that exposure really puts me into a flare.

Good luck with you decision.

Thanks

I've dyed my hair for years and it never bothered me. I guess we are all different.
    Diagnosed in 1990 at age 11.
    Trust in the Lord with all of your heart!

Thanks

Default Hey Yall!

I too dye my hair regularly, I have since I was ... 13yrs old. I know my family didn't seem to mind. I will never let my daughter dye her hair. I would love to stop, but I am only 29 and if I don't dye, I don't get carded. But I began to get premature grey about 16yrs old and I have dyed ever since. I also get sores on my head about a week after I dye my hair. ( Didn't think of that as a symptom until today, Things that make you go Hum!) My mother and I both swear that our hair is only grey because of the dye. Anyways I have read a lot of stuff online and I have found that a lot of researchers say that hair dye is a trigger for autoimmune diseases. All I did to find these sites was under Google I typed hair dye and autoimmune disease. You can look at Pub-Med or most any medical research report site. Hope this helps.

Most things you think are useless, really are if you don't share them.
    Saphire19